Thread: A recovery story.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

A recovery story.

My wife called me one afternoon the first part of November and told me a coworkers friend was in need of a metal detector. So the story goes. A farmer was spreading hay in his barn for the cows bedding when he noticed his wedding ring was missing. He searched for hours with no luck. About a week later he had mentioned the loss to his friend, my wife’s coworker and she ask my wife if I would be willing to look for it. It was right in the middle of our early freeze so I was game for a little detecting. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at his farm, it was a very old farm site. That definitely got my blood pumping? Can you guess why? Anyway we went to the barn and he pointed out the stall he thought it was in and I got to work with the Equinox. About 20 minutes into searching he was ready for me to give up. I told him I’m going to find it so I hope your not in a hurry. He said ok let’s keep going. I finally got a solid 21 on the Equinox and I had a feeling this was it. We dug down in the packed hay and manure and at about 3-4 inches there it was. High fives commenced.

After the recovery we started talking about his old farm. He mention it was an 1860’s farm and part of the house was still the original log home. We proceeded to house for a quick tour of the original part and to give his wife the good news about the find. They then asked me the question. How much do we owe you? I said I don’t want any payment and I had only one request. Can I PLEASE come back and search your property? Permission was granted, so it will be one of my early hunts this spring. Now I’m sure you know why I was excited to see such and old farm and why I was not going to give up on finding that ring.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Great recovery! I hope you get a seated in the spring! With a nice old site already lined up I bet the winter will be even longer for you now.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Elite Member
    Nice recovery Jeff, I would of recommended gloves though. Good Luck in the spring. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

That's the best feeling when you get to find someone's lost item!
    Jeff, what is that bagged coil looking thing below the ring in the pic? Congrats on a job well done, sir! Congrats on the new permission!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great job! Two finds in a day-gold ring and a virgin 1860s hunting site! Well done!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2023 Silver: 1 Gold: 0

Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Nice recovery Jeff, I would of recommended gloves though. Good Luck in the spring. WD
    LOL, I had gloves on, that is the farmers hand.

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    That's the best feeling when you get to find someone's lost item!
    Jeff, what is that bagged coil looking thing below the ring in the pic? Congrats on a job well done, sir! Congrats on the new permission!!
    The farmer warned me that there was manure mixed with the hay, so I bagged my coil. I also bag it if I’m hunting in snow, it works great.