Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Washington Inaugural Button!!!

  1. #1
    Global Moderator OxShoeDrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,848

    Washington Inaugural Button!!!

    I FINALLY GOT ONE!!
    Maybe 10 Years ago Dan took me to my first cellar hole and as we were all working a skunking he said that someone must have found a GW button here for it to be so pounded. Since then I wanted to find one. Since then I've hunted 100s of holes, some near the inaugural route, some ON it, all within a horse ride away. I remember on some hunts Dan would say, "The inaugural went right through here, maybe we'll find a GW." I never found one...UNTIL TODAY!!!!!
    She's a real looker WITH SHANK!!
    The inaugural passed 3.2 miles away from this button!
    The rest of the garbage was found at a park a few weeks ago. The reason I include that screw is that I might be the only detectorist to know it's from a baritone sax ligature
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  2. #2
    Well Drew that is one awesome chicken hawk ! Congrats on finding that rare bird!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

    "He who would search for pearls must dive below."

  3. #3
    Very nice and you are in a ELITE club now ! LOL
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

  4. #4
    Administrator del's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,563
    Drew , I never knew how intently you were listening to my ramblings I am however amazed at the niceness of your bird button , it is a great example . Huge congrats on finding a real treasure and piece of history !
    DFX ,TDI sl -

    Click here to view my finds album

  5. #5
    Full Member fyrffytr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    southwset Georgia
    Posts
    465
    One of these days I am going to get my passport renewed so I can travel out of Georgia. Then, I will be heading north to hunt one of those GW buttons. Congratulations on a great recovery. Now, go find another one!
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Bucknut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    1,541
    Congrats on a dream come true! That is the sort of thing most of us can only look at on a computer screen but you can hold it in your hand!

    Nice bunch of silver too.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 800
    2020 Season Totals:
    Clad: $16.45
    Indians: 2
    Wheaties: 47
    Silver: 15
    Silver Jewelry: 2

  7. #7
    Well there it is! One of metal detecting's HOLY GRAILS! And it's a gorgeous example. Never has a scrawny chicken hawk looked so beautiful!

    Huge congrats, Drew!

    Lifetime totals:
    8 Large Cents, 388 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 9 Shield Nickels, 67 V Nickels, 121 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 128 Barber Dimes, 383 Mercury Dimes, 236 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 15 Barber Quarters, 17 Standing Liberty Quarters, 84 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

    YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

  8. #8
    Congratulations Drew! It's a nice one too! I know how excited you must have felt when you found it. That is an awesome piece of history you are holding in your hands.
    XP Deus

  9. #9
    Great find! still looking for mine.
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

  10. #10
    Drew have you been able to identify the variety of your great find? I of course am referring to the baritone sax ligature.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

    "He who would search for pearls must dive below."

  11. #11
    Global Moderator OxShoeDrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Well Drew that is one awesome chicken hawk ! Congrats on finding that rare bird!
    I'm trilled not only to find it but that it has a shank, is in decent condition, and I didn't nick it! Thanks, Bud!

    Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    Very nice and you are in a ELITE club now ! LOL
    Thanks, Digger! I wonder how many people are in the "multiple GWs in one day" club...like Dave (HMN)

    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Drew , I never knew how intently you were listening to my ramblings I am however amazed at the niceness of your bird button , it is a great example . Huge congrats on finding a real treasure and piece of history !
    You're the master, I tried to glean all I could. Oddly, this hole was picked clean years ago, and it's still being picked today (new dig holes everywhere the day I went), but somehow this was 30 yrds from the lip, and not in a weird place. Thanks!!

    Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    One of these days I am going to get my passport renewed so I can travel out of Georgia. Then, I will be heading north to hunt one of those GW buttons. Congratulations on a great recovery. Now, go find another one!
    Let me know when you're coming and I could take you to a hole. I can't promise it hasn't been pounded but there's aways a chance!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Congrats on a dream come true! That is the sort of thing most of us can only look at on a computer screen but you can hold it in your hand!

    Nice bunch of silver too.
    Thank you, Sir! I have 100s of flat buttons in a bucket...this one is getting it's own display. Any recommendations on a small display case?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Well there it is! One of metal detecting's HOLY GRAILS! And it's a gorgeous example. Never has a scrawny chicken hawk looked so beautiful!

    Huge congrats, Drew!

    Thank you!! I wonder why the eagle is so scrawny on this design..? It does give it charm though

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Congratulations Drew! It's a nice one too! I know how excited you must have felt when you found it. That is an awesome piece of history you are holding in your hands.
    Thanks, Donnie! Didn't you guys have a GW fest lately?

    Quote Originally Posted by catskillcomics View Post
    Great find! still looking for mine.
    Thanks! I was starting to think I was hexed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Drew have you been able to identify the variety of your great find? I of course am referring to the baritone sax ligature.
    It's def a Selmer, not a newer one like this but probs from the 1990s.
    I guess my GW is a "GWI 12-C" The rarest!!!
    https://www.georgewashingtoninaugura...-punch-border/

  12. #12
    Drew, I was just counting the denticles on your GW Button and I came up with 63 Denticles which, you are correct, makes it the rare GWI - 12C! Congrats!

    Yes, Dave, Danny and I had a GW Button Bonanza one day last year. We all found GW Buttons and I even made the multiple GW Buttons in one day club! I know how I felt that day and I'm sure you are floating on Cloud 9.
    XP Deus

  13. #13
    I was reading your post above and Centreville Electronics sells some really nice displays that are matted. They look like picture frames.
    I was thinking about buying some for the special buttons like a GW.
    XP Deus

  14. #14
    Administrator del's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    12,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Drew, I was just counting the denticles on your GW Button and I came up with 63 Denticles which, you are correct, makes it the rare GWI - 12C! Congrats!

    Yes, Dave, Danny and I had a GW Button Bonanza one day last year. We all found GW Buttons and I even made the multiple GW Buttons in one day club! I know how I felt that day and I'm sure you are floating on Cloud 9.
    Donnie what variety "chicken eagle" did we find ?
    DFX ,TDI sl -

    Click here to view my finds album

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Donnie what variety "chicken eagle" did we find ?
    Dan, all of the Eagle buttons that me, you and Dave found that day were the GWI 12-B variety with 54 Denticles around the edge. They were all the same variety and that probably means they were purchased as a set.
    XP Deus

  16. #16
    Wow, a 12 C is indeed a rare bird! Very cool!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

    "He who would search for pearls must dive below."

  17. #17
    Veteran Member The Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Southwest, CT
    Posts
    1,710
    WTG Drew on the find of a lifetime!
    SPECTRA V3i, BH 505, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

    My Album

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •