Thread: Washington Inaugural Button!!!

Washington Inaugural Button!!!

I FINALLY GOT ONE!!
    Maybe 10 Years ago Dan took me to my first cellar hole and as we were all working a skunking he said that someone must have found a GW button here for it to be so pounded. Since then I wanted to find one. Since then I've hunted 100s of holes, some near the inaugural route, some ON it, all within a horse ride away. I remember on some hunts Dan would say, "The inaugural went right through here, maybe we'll find a GW." I never found one...UNTIL TODAY!!!!!
    She's a real looker WITH SHANK!!
    The inaugural passed 3.2 miles away from this button!
    The rest of the garbage was found at a park a few weeks ago. The reason I include that screw is that I might be the only detectorist to know it's from a baritone sax ligature
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Well Drew that is one awesome chicken hawk ! Congrats on finding that rare bird!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Very nice and you are in a ELITE club now ! LOL
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Drew , I never knew how intently you were listening to my ramblings I am however amazed at the niceness of your bird button , it is a great example . Huge congrats on finding a real treasure and piece of history !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

One of these days I am going to get my passport renewed so I can travel out of Georgia. Then, I will be heading north to hunt one of those GW buttons. Congratulations on a great recovery. Now, go find another one!
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Congrats on a dream come true! That is the sort of thing most of us can only look at on a computer screen but you can hold it in your hand!

Nice bunch of silver too.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Well there it is! One of metal detecting's HOLY GRAILS! And it's a gorgeous example. Never has a scrawny chicken hawk looked so beautiful!

Huge congrats, Drew!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Congratulations Drew! It's a nice one too! I know how excited you must have felt when you found it. That is an awesome piece of history you are holding in your hands.
    XP Deus

Great find! still looking for mine.
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

Drew have you been able to identify the variety of your great find? I of course am referring to the baritone sax ligature.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Well Drew that is one awesome chicken hawk ! Congrats on finding that rare bird!
    I'm trilled not only to find it but that it has a shank, is in decent condition, and I didn't nick it! Thanks, Bud!

Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    Very nice and you are in a ELITE club now ! LOL
    Thanks, Digger! I wonder how many people are in the "multiple GWs in one day" club...like Dave (HMN)

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Drew , I never knew how intently you were listening to my ramblings I am however amazed at the niceness of your bird button , it is a great example . Huge congrats on finding a real treasure and piece of history !
    You're the master, I tried to glean all I could. Oddly, this hole was picked clean years ago, and it's still being picked today (new dig holes everywhere the day I went), but somehow this was 30 yrds from the lip, and not in a weird place. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    One of these days I am going to get my passport renewed so I can travel out of Georgia. Then, I will be heading north to hunt one of those GW buttons. Congratulations on a great recovery. Now, go find another one!
    Let me know when you're coming and I could take you to a hole. I can't promise it hasn't been pounded but there's aways a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Congrats on a dream come true! That is the sort of thing most of us can only look at on a computer screen but you can hold it in your hand!

Nice bunch of silver too.
    Thank you, Sir! I have 100s of flat buttons in a bucket...this one is getting it's own display. Any recommendations on a small display case?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Well there it is! One of metal detecting's HOLY GRAILS! And it's a gorgeous example. Never has a scrawny chicken hawk looked so beautiful!

Huge congrats, Drew!

Thank you!! I wonder why the eagle is so scrawny on this design..? It does give it charm though

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Congratulations Drew! It's a nice one too! I know how excited you must have felt when you found it. That is an awesome piece of history you are holding in your hands.
    Thanks, Donnie! Didn't you guys have a GW fest lately?

Quote Originally Posted by catskillcomics View Post
    Great find! still looking for mine.
    Thanks! I was starting to think I was hexed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Drew have you been able to identify the variety of your great find? I of course am referring to the baritone sax ligature.
    It's def a Selmer, not a newer one like this but probs from the 1990s.
    I guess my GW is a "GWI 12-C" The rarest!!!
    https://www.georgewashingtoninaugura...-punch-border/
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Drew, I was just counting the denticles on your GW Button and I came up with 63 Denticles which, you are correct, makes it the rare GWI - 12C! Congrats!

Yes, Dave, Danny and I had a GW Button Bonanza one day last year. We all found GW Buttons and I even made the multiple GW Buttons in one day club! I know how I felt that day and I'm sure you are floating on Cloud 9.
    XP Deus

I was reading your post above and Centreville Electronics sells some really nice displays that are matted. They look like picture frames.
    I was thinking about buying some for the special buttons like a GW.
    XP Deus

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Drew, I was just counting the denticles on your GW Button and I came up with 63 Denticles which, you are correct, makes it the rare GWI - 12C! Congrats!

Yes, Dave, Danny and I had a GW Button Bonanza one day last year. We all found GW Buttons and I even made the multiple GW Buttons in one day club! I know how I felt that day and I'm sure you are floating on Cloud 9.
    Donnie what variety "chicken eagle" did we find ?
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Donnie what variety "chicken eagle" did we find ?
    Dan, all of the Eagle buttons that me, you and Dave found that day were the GWI 12-B variety with 54 Denticles around the edge. They were all the same variety and that probably means they were purchased as a set.
    XP Deus

Wow, a 12 C is indeed a rare bird! Very cool!

WTG Drew on the find of a lifetime!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Congrats on the GW!
    XP Deus

I'm hoping some day to find one of those. So awesome