Thread: Should I or shouldn't I clean this

Should I or shouldn't I clean this

So, with this buckle, I really like it, but curious if I should leave it as is, or should I try to remove the green? I like as it is, but wonder if it would look better.. suggestions, opinions?
    Name:  20200217_143750.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  60.2 KB
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

It's your buckle but I really love the green patina. I just read an interesting method for stabilizing the iron guts of brass and/or silver shoe buckles and knee buckles. Basically, tape off the brass and very carefully apply super glue to the iron using a dental pic to spread it around so it will run into the cracks and stabilize the iron. Obviously, doing this in a well ventilated environment with eye protection would be advisable.
    XP Deus

I would use a euro tool or similar scratch brush on the back side to see what is under the dirt. If it's shiny, I would continue to "dry" clean it with the scratch brush. If not, I would leave it as is and proceed to Donnie's iron guts super glue preservation method.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Wow!!
    1- both Jeff and Donnie's suggestions sound very good. I would have thought your iron is too far gone and would break off if touched, but stabilizing it just might work.
    2- If it were mine (and I'm the worst cleaner in the country ) I'd at least clean the frame... but I'd try Donnie's method in addition to cleaning the frame, I don't see any harm in taking a tooth brush or tooth pick to the frame.
    3- I never saw a frame with those bends in it...I bet Dan has...maybe he could elaborate...I'm guessing they were just trying to cheaply fancify the buckle.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I have no plans on cleaning the iron part as there probably wouldn't be much left afterwards. And that is a good idea to try the back of the buckle first as I have found a few things that had silver wash on them.
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

My advice would be to let the brass buckle dry out for a few days and see if its surface starts to chip and flake loose on its own . this will make your job so much easier to remove the rest of the crusty dirt from the brass. Its usually what happens before I start Name:  feb9th shoe buckle .jpg
Views: 820
Size:  86.6 KB . this picture is of one of the last buckles I found just after a quick wash to remove the loose dirt . there is a dark green crusty layer that is still stubborn to remove and after almost a week it starts to crack and flake off . I removed the rest of the crusty layer with a wooden tooth pick to see a slick mottled color patina , ideally you want a slick looking patina on brass and copper . then I used a soft bristle brush to remove any tiny amount of dirt and then coated with a generous layer of Ren-wax let dry out completely (it gets whitish dull hazy look when its dry) then I buff it vigorously with the same nylon brush to bring out a nice sheen like this picture shows. Name:  feb9th shoe buckle cleaned.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  122.4 KB
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great question and responses. I just found a "plain jane" buckle with an iron tongue and smooth brass along the edges. Will give these suggestions a shot. Thank you!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.