Thread: England Trip--My first cut Spanish! (plus other goodies)

England Trip--My first cut Spanish! (plus other goodies)

Hello Diggers!
    I spent 7 glorious days in England detecting in the most horrific rain, snow, sleet, and 60 mph winds ever endured since Tim went over to England! This was a dream come true for me as I have wanted for many years to find medieval English coins! There were 12 of us in our group and we became known as the Dirty Dozen. If you follow YouTube you might recognize the names Plug Master Ford, Missouri Mike, Nugget Noggin, Preacher Digger, Will B Diggin, Adventures in Dirt, Potter County Diggers, and the Relic Rangers (plus me). What a great group of folks and we all got along so well! I encourage you to check out their videos of the trip!

The weather was so difficult it made it almost impossible to focus on the signals. When the wind is at 50 mph+ your metal detector will roll across the ground and you have to chase it. I had to put it on the ground facing into the wind. Rain gear is useless at keeping you dry and you are very cold because temps were in the upper 30's most days.

But I was detecting in England! Woo-hoooooo! On day 3 I finally got my first good find. It was 10 inches deep and the faintest of signals. It turned out to be my first ever cut Spanish coin. A Spanish 2 Reale from the reign of Philip V and dates to 1718-26.

I did not find any gold during this trip but I did find 3 hammered silvers. The oldest being a Henry III Voided Long Cross Penny dating to 1247. It has a London mint mark and the moneyer's name is Renaud.

My next best hammered is a 1582/3 Elizabeth I Penny.

I also found a larger hammered silver groat but it is worn smooth and a "Taco Tuesday" special.

I found a couple medieval tokens dating 1400s to 1500s. These were used in place of money at certain stores or pubs.

My best button was a Royal Navy button with Victoria Crown and dates 1843 - 1890. Still a lot of gold gilt and I look forward to cleaning it up.

Everything I found I turned in to be evaluated under the Treasure Act. I expect to get everything back in about 6 months or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

You were over there with some great people ,CTTodd Yerks and his posse ( Gary Kilmer , Matt Poling , Henry Parro ) was over there too . Great finds Dave . very envious of the "Hammies"
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Sounds like a hunt you'll always remember, Dave! Good company, finds, weirdo weather. Hey, did you expect to find a gold coin? Are they common there? Amazing as always!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    You were over there with some great people ,CTTodd Yerks and his posse ( Gary Kilmer , Matt Poling , Henry Parro ) was over there too . Great finds Dave . very envious of the "Hammies"
    Thanks Del, it's a completely different kind of detecting over there. At one point I went over 3 hours with no signals! I began to question my detecting skills and even if my machine was working correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Sounds like a hunt you'll always remember, Dave! Good company, finds, weirdo weather. Hey, did you expect to find a gold coin? Are they common there? Amazing as always!!
    Our group found 4 gold coins. A Celtic quarter stater, 2 whole staters, and a 5th century Roman. 2 gold rings (one was 1300's) and a pair of 18K cufflinks dated 1899. I did not find any gold though. I felt lucky enough to get 5 silvers considering the weather.
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)

Elite Member
    I watched a few of the videos. Those were some amazing gold finds along with all the rest of the stuff. Congrats to all and a great trip excluding the weather. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Congrats on a great week Dave. Unfortunate about the weather, but at least you were rewarded for your suffering! You dug some very nice coins an no doubt made some new friends along the way!!
    Great job Buddy and I'm glad you had a good time!!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Man, that weather sounds brutal! I'm not sure I would have possessed the fortitude to endure that. I'm glad you were rewarded with some great finds in those miserable conditions, Dave!

I cannot even fathom finding a silver coin from 1247! You are assembling such an incredible collection of finds during your time in Europe and the UK! AMAZING!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Fantastic finds and I'm a little bit jealous! I love the hammered's and that cut Spanish is special.
    XP Deus

Fantastic finds Dave! What a great experience, made all the more special in being able to share it with others in the hobby and to meet new friends! Congrats!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

That's good ol' England spring weather I guess. Either that or the motherland knows that there's a real "American Detectorists" about, and she huffs and puffs and throws everything she has at us. Yeah, we ain't going anywhere!

I wish I was there with you Dave! Other than the weather of course
    Glad you found some cool stuff on your first trip!
    Maybe in the future we can book together!
    Congrats man!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    You had a great hunt for your first trip to the UK. Congrats on all the hamms. You never no what you are going to get for weather, at least you did not have to deal with snow and frozen ground like Tim and I did. So, Are you hooked?

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

hi im from england. what area of the uk were you. great finds by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    That's good ol' England spring weather I guess. Either that or the motherland knows that there's a real "American Detectorists" about, and she huffs and puffs and throws everything she has at us. Yeah, we ain't going anywhere!

I wish I was there with you Dave! Other than the weather of course
    Glad you found some cool stuff on your first trip!
    Maybe in the future we can book together!
    Congrats man!
    Tim, we WILL definitely book a trip together! I'm all in on the UK thing now!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Fighter 43 View Post
    You had a great hunt for your first trip to the UK. Congrats on all the hamms. You never no what you are going to get for weather, at least you did not have to deal with snow and frozen ground like Tim and I did. So, Are you hooked?
    Yes, I am hooked. It seems all I can think about is how fast I can get back there!

Quote Originally Posted by daveca View Post
    hi im from england. what area of the uk were you. great finds by the way.
    Colchester!

colchester is one of the best area in uk for roman. next time your in uk let me know and ill see if i can get you a guest dig with my group. good luck and stay safe

Nice to see that you fulfilled a dream. I guess if you want the really good stuff that England has to offer you must pay the price. Howling winds which sends your detector flying across the field, useless rain gear and temps not cooperating. Is six months the norm for getting your finds back from the Treasure Act folks? Once again Dave, I will offer to house your collection if you need the room. You got yourself some great keepers...congrats
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album