Thread: Best Finds from Nearby Battle Site

Best Finds from Nearby Battle Site

Hey Friends,
    As you know, there is a battle site only a couple miles from my house. The Prussians and the French had a 4-day skirmish back in 1794. The woods cover nearly 1,000 acres so there is plenty of places for finds to be hiding. This place is well-known and has had lots of detectorists over the years but there is no way they got it all! I found 2 cannon balls (5.5 pound) but gave 1 to my detecting buddy. I soaked mine in vinegar for a week and it came out really nice. The iron canister shots are my favorite iron finds though. They clean up so easily and look good in the display case. The French buttons are also a great find. They were the first buttons issued after the French Revolution and were only issued between 4 Oct 1792 until sometime in 1793. They have the classic "birdcage" square shank.

Here is some pics, I hope you enjoy them as much as me. Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Awesome finds! Congrats!
    XP Deus

So many mind blowing finds, Dave! You are saving a lot of history over there! Even the horse show looks super old. You also do an amazing job of cleaning your finds. I would be smiling for a week if I found all of that incredible history!

Question: Do you plan on bringing all of your finds back to the states when you move back?
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Do you plan on bringing all of your finds back to the states when you move back?
    Yes, I will be bringing back several boxes of "books, pictures, Christmas decorations, and knick knacks!"
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    Yes, I will be bringing back several boxes of "books, pictures, Christmas decorations, and knick knacks!"

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Beyond cool !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Those are an amazing display of items lost to time & now back in the light. What were the casulties and who won?
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Wow, that is a nice collection! Thanks for sharing.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

great iron Dave !! Congrats on it and the Buckle , buttons and relics sir !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album