Thread: Another cannonball at the 1794 battle woods!!

Threaded View

Another cannonball at the 1794 battle woods!!

Hey friends,
    I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy! The other day after work I was able to get out for a little bit so I went to the 1794 battle woods near my house. I just took my time and dug every signal. I didn't have any expectations I was just enjoying being out. About 30 minutes in I got a faint high tone and I could tell it was deep. After I dug down about a foot the signal was getting stronger and stronger and my pinpointer was having a seizure. I knew it had to be a cannonball! At 22 inches my shovel clinked against something and I could see the rounded top of a small cannonball. It turned out to be a 5.5 pounder and is the third one I have recovered from these woods. I also found some iron canister shot (1 inch and 1 1/2 inches). Of course I got the usual lead case shots and fired musket balls. My last signal of the day surprised me. It was a very small bronze finger ring. Don't know if it's from the battle but it has a really nice black patina. I put the cannonball through electrolysis overnight and am very pleased with the results.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger