Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratch #1 off the Bucketlist!!

Scratch #1 off the Bucketlist!!

Well, I always had a gold coin and a silver dollar tied for number one on my metal detecting finds bucketlist. That spot belongs solely to a yellow coin now!

It only took 11 years. But finally found my first silver dollar! A 1922 D Peace dollar! It was about 2"- 3"deep. I was dealing with a lot of EMI. So the signal was pretty jumpy. Bouncing between 38 - 40 on the Nox.

Thanks for lookin' & HH!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Oh WOW! Congrats Tim! I've also been going 11 years and no (American) silver dollars or gold coins for me either! Now go out and get that Double Eagle gold coin!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Man! A silver dollar! Finding a silver that big must of been a rush.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Congrats Tim. Not many detectorists can claim a find like that. It looks massive in the pile of dirt
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Wow, I bet that brought a BIG smile to your face. Great job Tim!!
    Glad to see you are out swinging!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    Oh WOW! Congrats Tim! I've also been going 11 years and no (American) silver dollars or gold coins for me either! Now go out and get that Double Eagle gold coin!
    Thanks Dave! You know I'll be trying! It don't even have to be a big'ol double eagle. A tiny little $1 gold piece would make me happy! Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't rebury a double eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Man! A silver dollar! Finding a silver that big must of been a rush.
    Oh man. It was a rush alright. I recorded some of it. It looks like I'm going through hypothermia I'm shaking so bad! The adrenalin was definitely flowing!

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Congrats Tim. Not many detectorists can claim a find like that. It looks massive in the pile of dirt
    Thanks Al! I know it looks big! Having never dug one, when I first seen it sticking out of the plug I figured it was part of a sink or tub drain, or the guts to a pocket watch. I couldn't / can't believe how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Wow, I bet that brought a BIG smile to your face. Great job Tim!!
    Glad to see you are out swinging!!
    Thanks Don! Oh it brought a smile to my face alright. It also brought the adrenalin rush and uncontrollable shakes!
    This is a park in town I'm working in. So I'm hunting a little before or after work.

In such good shape too, Tim! Huge congrats! Did you think you digging big iron?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    In such good shape too, Tim! Huge congrats! Did you think you digging big iron?
    Thanks Drew!
    No, I knew there something there nonconductive. But where I was at I was having to deal with a ton of EMI. I was getting constant chatter with the sensitivity at 19. So once I got over it I was getting good high tones, mixed numbers, jumping between 31 and 40. Mostly hanging around 38-40 with a mix of other random numbers thrown in. I turned 90° on the signal and it was the same way so I dug it. Never guessing what was about to pop up!🤯

Way to go, Tim! It must be a great feeling, finding one of your major bucket list coins! I have always loved the design of the Peace Dollars, they are beautiful coins. Huge congrats on that monumental find! I'm still looking for my first silver dollar.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Thanks Drew!
    No, I knew there something there nonconductive. But where I was at I was having to deal with a ton of EMI. I was getting constant chatter with the sensitivity at 19. So once I got over it I was getting good high tones, mixed numbers, jumping between 31 and 40. Mostly hanging around 38-40 with a mix of other random numbers thrown in. I turned 90° on the signal and it was the same way so I dug it. Never guessing what was about to pop up!勞
    The Nox is weird (and different from my T2) in that I seldom ever know what I'm digging...but it's always something good. I wonder if it's a great machine for newbies. Congrats again, Tim!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    The Nox is weird (and different from my T2) in that I seldom ever know what I'm digging...but it's always something good. I wonder if it's a great machine for newbies. Congrats again, Tim!
    I agree Drew. It is a different duck. With that compressed number scale it's hard to guess with the Nox. When I was running my Etrac I could make educated guesses. I was wrong a lot But I was right even more. With the Nox I'm lucky if I can guess the type of metal before digging it up. But it's light, fast, and waterproof.

Congrats! I know I had trouble believing the number I was seeing on the detector when I dug a Morgan. Naw….couldn't be..?? Then

Quote Originally Posted by Seabornescout View Post
    Congrats! I know I had trouble believing the number I was seeing on the detector when I dug a Morgan. Naw….couldn't be..?? Then
    I know!! Ain't it great!
    That's another thing that makes this hobby so much fun! Maybe it's because it's never been so fun to be wrong. And even if your wrong, you don't lose. Gotta love it!

Fantastic find. That's a good first.
    XP Deus

Woohoo!! Beauty as well!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Elite Member
    Huge congrats (small pun) on the Peace Dollar. Good Luck on the Gold coin. Great find WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Way to go Tim! Saw your post on IG a few days back. Congrats man.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

That’s a beautiful coin! I saw a similar condition one pulled out of a Boy Scout camp my md club detected last year. And I’ll bet at least 50 people detected that 2 acre mowed parade field on at least 3 occasions (including me) before someone dug it up. When I dug mine last week it was a 90 vdi on my White’s V3i which is usually a big hunk of crap so congrats on that find !

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Fantastic find. That's a good first.
    Thanks Donnie!

Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    Woohoo!! Beauty as well!
    Thanks! Now I know what the Mercury dime looks like when she wakes up in the morning before she puts her wings on!
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Huge congrats (small pun) on the Peace Dollar. Good Luck on the Gold coin. Great find WD
    A huge thanks! (pun also intended). I'm sure I'll need plenty of luck before I see the gold one. But you never know, right!

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Way to go Tim! Saw your post on IG a few days back. Congrats man.
    John
    Thanks John! I sure didn't want to go to work after finding that!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE54 View Post
    That’s a beautiful coin! I saw a similar condition one pulled out of a Boy Scout camp my md club detected last year. And I’ll bet at least 50 people detected that 2 acre mowed parade field on at least 3 occasions (including me) before someone dug it up. When I dug mine last week it was a 90 vdi on my White’s V3i which is usually a big hunk of crap so congrats on that find !
    Thanks Mike! Believe me, after 11 years of digging "silver dollar" signals, and never finding one, this was the last thing that I was expecting to see roll out of the plug! A pleasant surprise for sure!
    Last edited by Ill Digger; 05-29-2020 at 04:40 AM.

Wow, awesome find! Great job getting the coil over that one!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token