Thread: Another AMAZING hunt for War of 1812 era buttons!

Another AMAZING hunt for War of 1812 era buttons!

With out going into all the details I am a very blessed man but for the last 3 months or so I have been working so much that it was taking a toll on my sanity. So a couple weeks ago I put in time to take this past Memorial week off and head up north to my cottage and do nothing but metal detect, fish or look for morels in the woods or anything else but work. Just needed to get away.

Of course I was hoping to find at least 1 War of 1812 era button for the contest I had on here but I was also hoping to find an old coin or silver....and I did all that and then some!

So there are 2 spots that my family has found lots of buttons at. The first is the button "dump" site where many are burnt and the second is an old home site or out post site that we first detected last summer. The first day I went to the out post site by myself as the kids stayed at the cottage. I just wanted to detect by myself. 10 minutes into the hunt I found my first button and I could easily tell it was military and a sweet example too. So I took a pic of it in the dirt pile and a little video clip which I will try to post on youtube (I just watch youtube, not make videos, so be kind). I found 10 buttons that first hunt over a 4 hours period.

The find of the week came on this hunt. I was in the middle of the iron patch and got a repeatable signal. I dug down and removed about 4 or 5 square nails. Some of these are kinda cool and remarkably in decent condition. I reswung over the hole and was getting a mid 20's signal and I thought that this was pretty high for a button. my next scoop had a VERY old copper coin in it! It is worn but I am 99% sure it is a King George II Irish Hibernia Half Penny from 1736-1760. On the back where the date should be I "think" I can see the faint impression of the "3" and if so then it is either a 1743 or 1753. What ever date it is, it is the oldest coin I have found! And my first KGII!

Name:  KGII F.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  84.1 KB
    Name:  KGII B.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  76.0 KB

I have to wonder how this coin came to this spot. First the French occupied Fort Mackinac and then it was the British until about 1812 ish. Then the US took over. At this particular site I have only found US type buttons so I have to wonder if this outpost was first set up by the British and it was dropped then?

Here are some group and individual shots.

This one was a first for me. Light Artillery 1st Regiment. I only rinsed it in water.

Name:  LA 1.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  74.8 KB

Here is a group shot of all of the flat buttons I found. The shiny ones are a tombac style that I lemon juiced and they often just shine up like new. The others are brass or similar material. I have not cleaned up all of these and probably won't.

Name:  flat group.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  99.0 KB

Below is a flat button but I noticed something interesting on the back. There are stars and an eagle on top and the word "gilt" on the bottom.
    Name:  Flat Eagle.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  119.7 KB

Below is a cuff button Eagle with Script I. I only wiped it with my fingers.
    Name:  Cuff EI.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  88.9 KB

This is has not been cleaned at all. Just wiped it a little.
    Name:  Coat EC.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  114.6 KB

This is a pretty one! And probably my favorite. I dipped it in lemon juice for a few minutes.
    Name:  Coat AEC.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  143.4 KB

Name:  1812 group.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  101.1 KB

Below are 3 musket balls I found in my uncles yard which is next to my cottage. Also found the Native American tinkling cones there too. The other item is a very small brass buckle with the prongs all rusted up. I found it at the button site.
    Name:  relics.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  126.1 KB

Below is a button my Mom found last summer after I had left. In Alberts book of buttons it looks like a Great Coat Button from the 1820's. But NONE of the examples in that book have a 5 pointed star. I wonder if this is an anomaly or the book is mistaken. The buttons in the book have either an 8 pointed star or a dot or nothing. I think it is on page 35 for you guys who have the book. Let me know what you guys think!
    Name:  great coat.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  139.4 KB

I highly recommend that if you are feeling overwhelmed with anything that you go on a metal detecting vacation and get away from the cares of life for a few days. I feel quite refreshed. This might change Monday morning though.

Oh I did find a merc that I will post another time.

Thanks for looking! Jared
    Last edited by Bucknut; 05-30-2020 at 02:37 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Beautiful buttons! I think you are digging an amazing part of early American history! That big coin looks silver to me. Maybe it's just the way the picture is but the color does not look like a copper coin at all.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I couldn't find the five pointed star US button in any of my references. You might try contacting Don Troiani. He has co-authored several books on early American militaria.

chainshot@aol.com
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

I just found this one at Ridgeway civil war archive. It shows a 5 pointed star one.

http://www.relicman.com/buttons/Butt...nufacture.html
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Holy cow! Congrats
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    I just found this one at Ridgeway civil war archive. It shows a 5 pointed star one.

http://www.relicman.com/buttons/Butt...nufacture.html
    Ah I think you pointed me in the right direction. The button I have has a back mark though so it's not quite the same.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Geez Jared, I can only imagine what your full button collection looks like!!
    You always kill it when you go button hunting. Great job and excellent finds!!!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

This post has blown my mind! Those buttons are off the charts! They are in spectacular condition! So much wonderful history there. If I has sites like that to detect I would find it difficult to ever leave.

Congrats on the KG II also! Super old coin! It's worn but it's in decent shape otherwise. Amazing!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Bucknut congrats on another spectacular hunt. Man you are rescuing a ton of great buttons. Congrats on the KGII as well !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Yeah man!
    Another awesome hunt up north! That is an amazing site! The buttons come out of the ground in such pristine condition!! I bet the ground is super sandy!? It would make for great drainage and help preserve those awesome buttons!

Congrats!!

Make sure to leave us a link to your video.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Yeah man!
    Another awesome hunt up north! That is an amazing site! The buttons come out of the ground in such pristine condition!! I bet the ground is super sandy!? It would make for great drainage and help preserve those awesome buttons!

Congrats!!

Make sure to leave us a link to your video.
    Here is the link to the video.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwOT40We8Ag

BUT it is kinda fuzzy. I recorded it on my iPhone and it is very clear on it but not on you tube. I only recorded the reveals without me chatting about it. VERY peaceful to hear the birds chirping and old buttons popping up. It is pretty short but you can kinda see how relaxing this place is.

If you really wanted a clear video pm me your phone number and I will text it to you.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

..and on top of everything that place is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Jared...this is an amazing post....jaw dropping. I have no idea what could go on the banner...the whole thread should! Spectacular...I hope you have more land to check there...maybe you want to alert someone about the site's significance?
    You have a large coil on there...I forget, Equinox?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    ..and on top of everything that place is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Jared...this is an amazing post....jaw dropping. I have no idea what could go on the banner...the whole thread should! Spectacular...I hope you have more land to check there...maybe you want to alert someone about the site's significance?
    You have a large coil on there...I forget, Equinox?
    Yes yes and yes! Thank you! Lots more private land and even more state land to detect. There are a few local Detectorists who have hit these same places for years and have donated some very amazing things to the local museum. If you think I have some amazing things you should see their personal collections...lots of history! University of Michigan has done some digs nearby too. Some Native American activity too. Like I said in my original post ... I'm blessed to have access to a place like this.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Your cashing in at that site. Glad for the day off
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Anything you find and it gets cleaned by "one swipe" is fantastic. You have some great pieces of American history. Loved the post and thank you for motivating me to get out there.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

So many awesome finds. Love the buttons and the tinkler cones. I'm a bit jealous!
    XP Deus

Another spectacular set of buttons Jared! For all the multitudes of coppers and plain flat buttons I've dug over the years, I only have like 3 military buttons from that era, and in that condition. A huge congrats once again!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Absolutely stunning finds!! Congrats! I’m with you on the vacation thing! A big part of why I got in to detecting was as a way to relieve stress and decompress from work!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token