Thread: Finds from Friday plus a bonus coin

Finds from Friday plus a bonus coin

Hi all. Hope you're all well and getting out there to detect when possible. Over the past week I've finally felt confident to cold knock on doors again, especially seeing Vermont is doing among the best in the nation on keeping on top of the current virus situation and is cautiously re-opening more and more. I headed out Friday with 3 specific places in mind to ask permission for, but after speaking with the first farmer who was very friendly I suddenly felt lazy and just detected there. There were two sites in his fields, an old school at a crossroads and an early to mid 1800s homesite about a mile down the road. Finds were a mix of 1800s/early 1900s stuff - mainly relics - see wide shot. The best of the group was the William Henry Harrison log cabin campaign button (c. 1840) and the bottom portion of a William Jennings Bryan campaign watch fob (c. 1908). The wheats were 1909 and 1919. We've been so dry up here this spring/early summer that digging was tough and the soil dry all the way to the bottom of the holes. I certainly felt I was losing a solid 2 to 3 inches of depth off the bottom on the AT-Pro given the dryness and probably missed some deeper targets. The final image is a DB LC I dug about 10 days ago after an invite to a 1790s era home and private yard. You know I had to at least throw one old LC in there for you guys! I ended up giving it to the owner as they were very intrigued and I have several 02's in my collection. HH and best regards.

John

Name:  wide shot.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  46.5 KBName:  whh campaign button.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  32.4 KBName:  watch fob front.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  40.5 KBName:  watch fob back.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  39.3 KBName:  DB LC West Cornwall.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  59.3 KB
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Wow, John!! Log Cabin button is in super shape, as is the '02! Looks like you have a winning site there!
    How's the reverse of the coin?
    We finally got some rain the other day. Hope you get some soon. Great job, as always!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Love the button. Very nice
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Run into any hogs of late, John?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great finds. You don't often find both a political fob and button on the same hunt. Yeah.... that nice '02 would have been tough to give up.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Love the button and LC. Jealous of comment, "I have many 02s". Thanks for showing some history!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Wow, John!! Log Cabin button is in super shape, as is the '02! Looks like you have a winning site there!
    How's the reverse of the coin?
    We finally got some rain the other day. Hope you get some soon. Great job, as always!
    Thanks Drew! Sorry, no shot of the reverse. It was still caked up when I gave it to the owner, but it looked like that side was in good shape too.
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

You knocked it out of the park with campaign memorabilia! Congrats!
    XP Deus