Thread: Four More Park Project Hunts This Week

Four More Park Project Hunts This Week

Well, this was probably one of the most fun weeks I have ever had detecting. I made it to the park construction project four times this week (hoping for today again). The rain slowed the work a little bit which I was thankful for, so I could keep going back to get more goodies. One day this week there were seven of us out there at one time and I got to meet some new MDers that I had never met before. I guess word travels fast when there is a project like this! That night (4 hours) it was a feeding frenzy and I came home with 48 wheat cents plus many other interesting things. Myself and one other guy finally had to call it quits because the mosquitos were SO bad at 9:15pm. Each picture below the first one are from subsequent hunts throughout the week. Almost everyone has gotten silver on this project! You will notice as the hunts go on, the type of targets become smaller and lower conductive targets.

They really scraped off a large area of dirt the first day this week and I found 48 Wheats, 2 IH, 2 Buffalo Nickels, one silver ring and four silver coins. The Washington Quarter was laying right on the surface.

The next day I went back and gridded off a smaller area and found these. The Merc was a clear signal that was missed the prior day, the Rosie barely rang up mixed in with thick clay near the service of where it was lying. This site has been manipulated and regraded probably a dozen times in the last 125 years and has had ballfields etc. i literally found a wheat penny and a modern cigarette butt six inches apart at the same level which was two feet below the surface where they scraped dirt away. In talking to the workers, the soil is high in Nitrogen (probably from decades of fertilizer & some 1800’s coal ash dumping) so that explains why all the copper coins are so green and crusty and some of the silver is so bright white.

I really like this small Hoover campaign hat clip pin. It rang up 16-17 on the Equinox.

The Scout ring was a great find and is marked Sterling. The weird disc right in the center might be a nickel but it’s toast. You will also notice the small pieces of naturally occurring copper or float copper, which are pretty common to find in our area from past glacial activity.

Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Wow what a great opportunity and glad you did so well! That is a heck of a week! Congrats.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)