Thread: Recent Finds

Recent Finds

Hello friends,
    I have been so busy with teleworking and staying cooped up in the house I haven't had much chance to go out detecting. I have gotten out the last couple Sundays and have a few finds to show you.

I found an old pen knife and a few days later when I was cleaning the crud off discovered it still had the scales on it! Usually they are long gone. I'm not sure what they are made of but they are a teal green color.

Got a real Napoleonic button! The 114th Line Infantry Brigade was formed on May 13th, 1808 and disbanded in 1814.

Also found a French Revolution button from 1792 in a plowed field. The fertilizers have not been kind to it but you can just make out the fasces and liberty cap in the center. Around the perimeter are REPUBLIQUE FRANCAIS

The 4th Regiment button also came out of the farmer's field. I'm guessing mid to late 1800's based upon the style and back mark

Imagine my surprise when I found a 1958 wheat cent and a BIG silver 1951 5 mark coin in the same hole (in the middle of the forest)! Probably dropped by an American soldier on maneuvers.

I got the usual assortment of rotted pfennigs all from the Imperial Germany era (1871 to 1918).

The pewter crucifix is probably late medieval to early 1700's--it's hard to know for sure.

My last good find was an 3 Kreuzer dated 1810. It's about the size of a dime but paper thin of course. It was minted in the Grand Duchy of Baden.
    Attached Images Attached Images                   
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

We missed you, Dave! I was just wondering this morning why we hadn't seen a post from you in a while.

I love all of those finds! What are the "scales" made out of of that pen knife?

Pretty funny finding a wheat cent over there. The silver coin that was with it is huge! Nice!

I really like that 1810 Kreuzer. What a cool little coin.

Congrats on the great finds, and for adding some feathers to your collection!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wonderful buttons!
    XP Deus

Great to hear from you again, Dave! A small museum of finds to add to your large collection.
    A wheat penny . A German detectorist would maybe appreciate finding a wheat penny for the history, but you?
    Wonderful pieces, Dave!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Very nice Dave. Looks just like the stuff I find. Only yours are older, nicer, better! I have found turkey feathers that are better than yours however.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Elite Member
    Great recoveries, especially the big silver. Congrats WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes