Thread: 4kHz Added in Nox Upgrade

4kHz Added in Nox Upgrade

Hiya,

Nothing exciting this week except that I received the Minelab update which supposedly added some stabilization to the VDI and 4kHz as a stand alone freq. The multi-frequency is the big dog on the Nox but I've found my self having success using only 5KHz at my pounded parks/cellar holes, looking for deep high conductors. After I downloaded the update I first bench tested 4kHz on some dimes and got a full inch over 5kHz and multi. I had to try it! All of these items were first found in 4 then checked in 5, then multi. Most targets were heard by all three but 4kHz sounded louder, a few were not even audible in multi. The ground is powder dry, I can't wait to try it after the rain today! Oh...I do have to check all targets in multi to make sure they're not bottle caps.
    The ox knob is the tiniest training knob I've ever seen .
    I found those two buttons next to each other so I thought I had the whole coat, but not to be.
    The 1864 IH might be a key date?
    The copper has the outline of Britannia but that's it.

I like to hear about frequencies you're using in different situations on your machines.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Well done! What did that silver chain ring up as? The 1864 indian is the bronze version it looks like to me...not a key date but still a hard one to find. I also downloaded the new update and had a killer hunt on Sunday evening. (I will post what I found later today). I went to a pounded out park that dates to the 1850's and I decided to hunt primarily in multi which is how I have always done it but would switch to 4khz every so often especially in areas of the park that I found old silver in the past. I have not found silver here in over a year but I found 3 of them the other night...a war nickel, sterling ring and a bucket lister I will post later.

I did notice one thing. I dug a ton of clad...more than I normally do here. I dug 22 nickels. Normally for me, in multi, a nickel comes in at 12 or more often a 13. But 20 of the 22 nickels were a solid 12. A 12 is something I would dig up anyways but 75% of the time it would have been a pull tab...I think I dug 5 to 8 pull tabs. That tells me that maybe the VDI is more stable. maybe not?

Did you see the video from Calabash? I thought it was interesting...especially since I went from an eTrac to the Equinox.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Nice digs Drew. I especially like the ox knob from the now extinct CT pygmy ox . I used 3 kHz a lot with my old DFX. Hit those deep coppers hard. Not sure why going from 5 kHz to 4 kHz would gain you another inch in air tests. Must be some other factor in play besides just a very slight frequency change. With the Deus if I am hunting in a higher frequency and get a debatable signal, I will toggle over to an adjacent program that is set up 4 kHz as a check for iron. 4 kHz will give you a good iron buzz. I think it's a good idea not to quit on a site until you have hit it with a low frequency program. I will definitely find more targets with the middle frequencies ( say 8 to 28) but 4 kHz will definitely find stuff that was missed by the higher frequencies.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Thanks, guys. Jared, I wish that chain was silver because it's super large, but its junk
    The '64 IH rang up as a 19 at six inches (with some nails in the vicinity), I wouldn't know what it's made of. The other one rang up as a 20 at eight inches. I just found Calabash's vid after you mentioned it...which leads me to Jeff's question on why the 4kHz isn't similar to the 5. Calabash found the same thing as me, that the tone in 4khz is different than in other frequencies. I find it has more modulation, like my old T2 in 2+. It's also just plain old louder, higher, and stronger on all targets.
    Their site says, "This new 4 kHz frequency enhances the detection of large deep targets, particularly those found in parts of Asia. As a result of optimising for these conditions, this new frequency may respond differently for users compared to the other single frequencies.' It hits everything louder ...but bottle caps too, so I have to toggle back to multi before I dig anything.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Thanks, guys. Jared, I wish that chain was silver because it's super large, but its junk
    The '64 IH rang up as a 19 at six inches (with some nails in the vicinity), I wouldn't know what it's made of. The other one rang up as a 20 at eight inches. I just found Calabash's vid after you mentioned it...which leads me to Jeff's question on why the 4kHz isn't similar to the 5. Calabash found the same thing as me, that the tone in 4khz is different than in other frequencies. I find it has more modulation, like my old T2 in 2+. It's also just plain old louder, higher, and stronger on all targets.
    Their site says, "This new 4 kHz frequency enhances the detection of large deep targets, particularly those found in parts of Asia. As a result of optimising for these conditions, this new frequency may respond differently for users compared to the other single frequencies.' It hits everything louder ...but bottle caps too, so I have to toggle back to multi before I dig anything.
    I have found that it hits everything at a higher pitch too, which I like because it reminds me of my eTrac days. As far as the bottle caps go I dig them up occasionally but I hunt primarily in multi and that helps me avoid them. Toggling back and forth is something I prefer not to do...but I guess I could used to it.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Well done Drew! With the AT-Pro I of course am a single freq. guy. But hey - whatever works for you stay with that!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Ok so it's not that 4 kHz alone makes a huge difference over 5 kHz. They have also enhanced the signal response with 4 kHz. That makes sense. Sounds similar to the 4 kHz Boost mode on the Deus. I wonder what are the large deep targets in parts of Asia that they are referring to? The buried troves of WWII gold bullion?

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    I wonder what are the large deep targets in parts of Asia that they are referring to? The buried troves of WWII gold bullion?
    Yeah, I didn't understand why they specified Asia.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great finds and thanks for the info on the Nox update, have not done that yet.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

I tested on some deep silver in my garden and it smacked it.Congrats on the finds..
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

I wonder what are the large deep targets in parts of Asia that they are referring to? The buried troves of WWII gold bullion?
    Someone deduced- "I suspect the reason 4 khz behaves so differently than 5 khz in terms of target audio strength and with less noise is that ML is testing a new signal processing algorithm for their next generation Multi IQ detector, perhaps the Multi IQ version of the CTX. Great way to get a bunch people to beta test your software is to make up some mysterious story about Asian hoard hunters."
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

If it wasn't for the pandemic Drew, I would be on the next plain to the Philippines with Nox in hand !

If it wasn't for the pandemic Drew, I would be on the next plain to the Philippines with Nox in hand !
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew