Thread: 1863 Fatty, Minié ball, and a compact with coins in it.

1863 Fatty, Minié ball, and a compact with coins in it.

On Saturday I met up with Don and Tim for some detecting. After a somewhat slow start our day was saved by one yard at an 1870s (?) brick house. We strongly suspect it had been detected before as there were no old silver coins at all, but we got some nice finds by digging the odd signals.

My second target in this yard produced a 11-22 signal on the E-trac and I was rewarded with an 1863 "Fatty" Indian Head Cent. It is only my second one ever but it is in a lot better condition than the first one I found. In this yard I also found an 1896 Indian Head, a 3-ringer Minie Ball, and a compact that was about 10" deep. I just opened the compact this morning and discover two wheat cents inside, 1935 and 1942.

It was a very fun day and I was happy to get out with Don and Tim!

Name:  1 ALL FINDS.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  104.1 KBName:  2 COINS.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  109.1 KBName:  3 COMPACT.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  53.7 KBAttachment 68376Attachment 68377Name:  6 THIMBLE.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  88.4 KBName:  7 RELICS.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  97.5 KBName:  8 FATTY.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  77.9 KBName:  MINIE BALL.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  56.8 KB

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 02-03-2021 at 02:02 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thats a great bunch of finds. The Fatty & the 3 ringer are the best finds in my opinion. That sure was great yard to detect.
    Congrats on all the cool finds.
    If we ever go back to that town, we should definitely give it another go at that house!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Elite Member
    Great recoveries. opened a lot of compacts and never had coins. Thx for keeping the dream going. Congrats on all the finds. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

That fattie and minie ball are awesome finds! Great condition. Digging the odd signals at very old places can lead to some great finds!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Nice finds! A nice Fatty, a nice thimble and a nice Minie' Ball. Pretty good day!
    XP Deus

That's a good looking fatty, Tony! I've given up trying to find a three ringer. Is an 11-22 signal like a zincoln? I'm guessing that thimble isn't silver, although it looks silver in the pic. I'm glad you guys got to hunt together again, hope everyone is well. Congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    That's a good looking fatty, Tony! I've given up trying to find a three ringer. Is an 11-22 signal like a zincoln? I'm guessing that thimble isn't silver, although it looks silver in the pic. I'm glad you guys got to hunt together again, hope everyone is well. Congrats!
    This was my second three-ringer and they were found in adjacent towns. My first is shown in this post:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...ll-and-one-BIG (Well, maybe that's a two-ringer.)

A zincoln signal is typically 12-37. The fatty was 11-22 which is usually a pulltab but in this yard I decided to dig it. Glad I did!

Yes, the thimble is aluminum. I still haven't found a silver one.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg