Thread: Old Button I Think / What do think?

Old Button I Think / What do think?

My son dug this at an old brick farm house. The owner said it was part of a fort in the 1830s.
    There are no visible markings and it's kind of crusty. Any guess on it's age and what it might be made of?
    Name:  IMG_6489 (2).jpg
Views: 248
Size:  71.2 KBName:  IMG_6490 (2).jpg
Views: 297
Size:  52.2 KBName:  IMG_6491 (2).jpg
Views: 220
Size:  91.1 KB
    Thanks
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

I think that’s pewter. Probably late 1700s I’m guessing. Someone else on here I’m sure will know better

Noah is spot on I think. A poor man's tombac button made of pewter but looks like a tombac. The clue for me is the crusty edge and the hump where the shank is soldered on. But that's just my guess based on 2 pictures. Age is probably 1790s to 1810.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Common find at our colonial era cellar holes here on the east coast. When they were new they looked real nice and were often cast with fancy designs. Pewter doesn't hold up well unfortunately. Often they don't even look as good as yours. But they are always a welcome find in any condition.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I agree that from the pictures it looks pewter, the shank looks iron, curios I’ve never found a pewter button without a mold seem ( prob under the crust) I’ve also never found one that nice! I think it matches up with the date of the fort late 1700’s early 1800’s. Great find,

I agree with the above folks...I've bet that shank IS iron as our's aways have long rotted away. We just have the pimple left.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I have had success stabilizing pewter buttons by coating them with a 50/50 mix of Elmer's glue and water. It will continue to deteriorate if left untreated.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    I have had success stabilizing pewter buttons by coating them with a 50/50 mix of Elmer's glue and water. It will continue to deteriorate if left untreated.
    That’s a great tip thanks!

Old site Don , you might want to spend more time digging the very deep subtle signals . The button definitely looks like a tombac as most pewter buttons had cast shanks not wire or iron looped ones , this one looks like it was subjected to terrible conditions (repeatedly wet or moist conditions or harsh fertilizers ) . congrats sir .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album