Thread: Looking for help identifying button

Looking for help identifying button

Name:  Screenshot_20200916-154205_Gallery.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  30.0 KBName:  Screenshot_20200916-154219_Gallery.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  31.3 KB

I found this button in Illinois. Atleast 7 inches down with my Teknetics G2+. It's a flat button. Smoothe on top. No writing or anything on top. The bottom, however has all of this design work. Figuring its Navy for sure. But , that's all I got. The what year is this button and the why in the world is so much design on the bottom of the button and nothing on top questions, I'd love to get input on. I feel like I found a piece of history. But yet, not knowing anything is killing me. Any help or ideas, I would be so thankful. Thanks. Moose

IIRC it had something to do with overstock when the button was changed to a newer style. Instead of throwing them out the button maker(s) simply put the shank on the front and sold them as regular buttons.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

What a cool piece of history, looks pre civil war to me but I’m sure someone on here will narrow it down for you. Condition is incredible, congrats!

The more I think about it the more I think I remember. I am pretty sure it was made in England around the early 1800s and America's button makers were getting better. We were less dependent on England for buttons which resulted in them having an over supply that they could not sell to the US military so they made the fronts into backs and sold them as civilian buttons.

Interesting, fyrffytr1. Makes sense... and what a nice find Moosapalooza! I ran the T2 for years with a 13 kHz, I think the G2+ runs higher. Do you dig lots of button type targets? Nice find!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thank you guys!

To be honest, I dont necessarily go out looking to target buttons. It was merely luck that I found this one. I headed outside to learn my detector a little more. Concentrating on more faint sounds, and different numbers that I normally would discriminate out or pay no mind to. Hadnt rained in forever here. I live on sand, but near one of the first roads in this old town. So to pop this button out, after digging what I thought was a ghost signal, I was blown away. Makes me feel like I'm getting better and better. This button possibly dating in the early 19th century, blows me away. Just awesome. Hoping to get a Minelab someday, but my Teknetics G2+ has sure given me a lot of joy in this hobby.

That's a terrific find, Moose! Super old! I wonder if it's from the old fort that used to be nearby? I love the green patina!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks Tony!

Cool find and I learned something too!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Moosapalooza View Post
    Concentrating on more faint sounds, and different numbers that I normally would discriminate out or pay no mind to.
    Here's some unsolicited detecting advice: Almost EVERY great find story starts with "It was a crappy, shit signal but I dug it anyway..." I recommend you always dig the faint signals you would not normally pay any mind to.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    Here's some unsolicited detecting advice: Almost EVERY great find story starts with "It was a crappy, shit signal but I dug it anyway..." I recommend you always dig the faint signals you would not normally pay any mind to.
    Or in my case all my great stories start with ..."This is a site I've hit a thousand times before"...... AND " it was a crappy signal....."
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Reversed Navy Button listed in Albert's as NA-75b:

Your button is shown in the Albert's button-book as button NA-75B. It was originally manufactured as a US Navy button; however, apparently the Navy canceled the order for them with the manufacturer. The manufacturer then "recycled" the button(s). That was done placing the shank on the front and then selling them to the civilian public as plain flat-buttons. The theory is that the cancellation was due to the Navy's 1830 change of its prescribed buttons from an eagle with a shield-&-anchor on its wing to an eagle standing atop an anchor.

It's a fairly rare find and there are at least a couple of different varieties that I have seen. I found one about 20 years ago.
    XP Deus

Donnie B, I knew I had seen that button somewhere with the description but my old mind just doesn't hold it all like it used to.

Great information!!!Thank you all so much.

Dont mean to beat this to death, but you guys/gals know, and I dont. What was this button made out of? I cant find it anywhere. And also... a final thought... I cant believe that this button doesnt have more of a value to it. The thought of the Navy, having them made, and then cancelling the order, because of a different design wanted, to me I would think that it would make it rare and valuable. But... evidently not. Oh well, I love it anyway