Thread: My Best Find Ever--Celtic Religious Offering

My Best Find Ever--Celtic Religious Offering

Hello Friends,
    I just finished 8 days of glorious detecting in Bavaria with 4 buddies. Why Bavaria you ask? Of the 16 German States, Bavaria is the only one that lets you keep whatever you find (the land owner can ask for half though). We were detecting an old forest area (in the rain of course) and I saw giant boulders just ahead. A huge outcrop of rocks maybe 40 feet high. I thought this would be a good place to find some goodies. As I worked towards the rocks I could see that one of my buddies was ahead of me and had dug a few targets in the area. So I moved over to the left about 10 feet so I could take a different route than he had taken.

Almost immediately I got a very faint high tone signal. It was not strong enough to register any numbers on the display but it was a very sweet tone and it seemed to be an elongated signal. I thought this is either deep iron (giving a false high tone) or this is deep bronze. I dug down and immediately hit a layer of stones. At about a foot deep my pin pointer started beeping. I switched to using my small pointed digger to gently pick the dirt out of the rocks and roots. I lifted each stone out very carefully. All of a sudden I could see something green and round poking out of the bottom of the hole. I lifted it out and was so surprised I cursed out loud! It was a bronze spearhead in perfect condition. Rechecking the hole I heard more signals! I thought "could it be more spearheads?" A cache perhaps? Digging carefully I found 2 round bronze "blobs" and a beautiful bronze ring. The 2 blobs are probably casting waste (but still had value in those times). The purpose of the ring is unknown but may have been Celtic proto-money (along with the blobs). Anyway, these are late bronze age and probably date around 1500 to 1000 B.C. Although the exact purpose of these types of finds is unknown, most archeologists believe these were probably religious offerings to the Gods, perhaps for success in battle, or maybe a good harvest, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Awesome! I can only dream of finding stuff that old!
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Great job in the care you took digging it out of those rocks. It's in perfect condition!!!
    Awesome
    Congrats Dave
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

SOOO COOL, DAVE! How'd everyone else do? How far away was it for you? You're coming home with a museum! Have you learned any German? Such a difficult language. Congrats!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Thanks, but your copper spearhead still beats mine by 2,000 years! LOL
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

That's a find of a lifetime! Huge congrats to you!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

I have no adequate words, Dave! This is a once-in-a-lifetime find that boggles the mind. We can't even imagine what the lives were like of the people who lost or buried these items. It really get your imagination working, wondering how they came to be there.

I can't wait to see all of your finds in person when you come back to The States! I would be mesmerized holding that spear head in my hands!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

1500 years before Christ! That’s just mind blowing.

Just crazy. That sounds like an amazing trip

Wow! VERY VERY COOL!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Incredible finds! Congrats!
    XP Deus

WOW! It doesn't get any better!
    XP Deus