Thread: My New Oldest Silver Coin!

Threaded View

My New Oldest Silver Coin!

Hello Diggers,
    On my recent trip to Bavaria I was having a pretty bad morning (relatively speaking) and wasn't finding anything good. After 2 hours of nothing I got as scratchy signal that jumped between iron and high tones. I always dig those signals because it usually means an iron arrowhead or Roman nail. Instead, a little iron medieval buckle popped out of the hole. It looked to be from about 1200 so I was happy with that.

I stood up and reswept the hole out of habit and got a high tone! I couldn't believe it! I looked in the dirt and saw a super thin silver coin! I very carefully picked it up and put it in my special coin holder. The coin had some damage but thankfully it wasn't fresh so it must have happened in ancient times. This beats my oldest silver by 100 years! The front shows the king riding a horse and carrying a flag with the sun behind him. The back shows a lion in the center of a circle with four "peers" looking on. On my coin it sort of looks like a little skull at about the 10 o'clock position. That is one of the peers looking at the lion.

The buckle is a little bit taller than a U.S. quarter and the tongue is rotated from the 9 o'clock position to about 5 o'clock. After cleaning I will be able to move it back to it's correct position. Here's some pics plus an example that is in better shape than mine. Thanks for looking and happy digging! Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger