Thread: Unknown double headed eagle disk

Unknown double headed eagle disk

Well, I found this disk in the backyard of my house.

For context it has a flimsy structure to it and there's visibly a 2 headed eagle on both sides, the disk itself is very flat and it rang up as something copper on my detector. I suspect it has something to do with the fur trade, but I could be wrong.

My house is near some swampy-like forested areas and is about a mile outside of a small town.

Btw I live in the northern part of the U.S for some more context, relatively close to Lake Superior.

The mysterious disk is about the size of 4 modern day U.S quarters put together.

Hopefully that's all you guys need to know, I'm new to these forums. (Just registered today)

Anyone have any ideas?

More info I should give you guys:

Now, the property where I got it from used to be an old dairy farm. This farm was about an acre wide I presume, as I heard stories about how there used to be a dairy farm near the western edge of my property. According to the stories it was around the late 1800s when the farm was in operation. I can confirm there was a farm now because I did check the area myself with a metal detector.

The area itself around me used to be heavily involved with the mining, lumbering, and railroad industry, there were tons of copper mines and abandoned lumbering camps from the mid to late 1800's all over the place. Not to mention the area could have had some fur trading/trapping activity as my home is about 2/3 miles off the coast of Lake Superior.

Not only was there mining, there were also lots of dairy/cattle farmers in the area too. I've came across lots of places that had old antique farming equipment and structures around here. There weren't many crops as the climate around here is generally a lot more rough, so about the only things you could possibly grow were plants like potatoes.

Name:  IMG_0054.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  53.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0056.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  43.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0063.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  36.6 KB

Edit:

So far I found out that the eagle is indeed the Russian Romanov coat of arms from an expert. He predicts that this disk could be from the 1800's - early 1900's based on the condition of it, and not to mention this version of the Russian eagle went away around the time of the Russian civil war that happened in the 1910's.

If this were to be a coin it most likely isn't even in the books as I've looked almost everywhere, so my guess is that this was more of a cosmetic for someone or something; I'll give credit to the user Oneil as he opened up this idea for me.
    Last edited by PenguSupreme; 10-29-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure what the object is, but that double-headed eagle seems to be associated with the Byzantine Empire. Whatever it is, it's pretty cool!

Did you find it with a metal detector?
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Yep, found it in the ground relatively deep, if I remember it was approximately 12 inches deep in the ground. I believe it kept from breaking because of the soil, but it's still pretty flimsy.
    Last edited by PenguSupreme; 10-27-2020 at 07:44 PM.

This disk has been in my mind for awhile now, so hopefully I'll find some answers soon. All I can come up with is that it was probably involved with the fur trading back in the 18th century in some way, either that or it was part of some old furniture or part of an object.

Interesting how you identified the eagle being related with the Byzantine empire, I thought the eagle resembled something British or perhaps even Russian; gives me more to think about anyways.
    Last edited by PenguSupreme; 10-27-2020 at 07:52 PM.

It is also associated with Russia and Russian Masons. I think the first picture is of the back and the second is the front.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Yeah, it probably could be something Russian considering the design. I'm not fully sure that it's a coin or not, but the more I look at it the more it looks like a coin in my eyes, though the eagle being on both sides is kind of giving me doubts.

I do agree that the front of the disk is probably the 2nd photo.
    Last edited by PenguSupreme; 10-28-2020 at 12:10 AM.

You are correct fyrffytr1, I just finally got word from an expert that the double eagle of the coin/disk resembles the Russian Romanov coat of arms. I presume then that this disk could be about 100 years old or perhaps even older according to the information I just received. Though sadly even he couldn't identify the true identity of the disk, however it does reveal lots of questions I had about it.
    Last edited by PenguSupreme; 10-28-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Welcome to the forum! The pictures leave a lot to the imagination but I’m leaning toward a bridal roset, the discoloration on the back appears it was attached to something typically lead. Obviously no way to know for sure but that’s my vote

Yeah, that sounds pretty close to what it could be, I could definitely imagine seeing someone or maybe even something wearing that. My guess is that whoever had it possibly came from Russia around either the late 1800s or the early 1900s, perhaps maybe even older than that. Either that or maybe whoever had it simply received it from someone else.

I know I may be dead wrong on the origin of this disk, but all I have rn is that the eagle in the front is most likely of Russian origin.
    Last edited by PenguSupreme; 10-29-2020 at 03:11 PM.

If you go look at the Russian coat of arms and look for the 1830's version you can clearly see a very similar resemblance to this one. Look closely at the right wing in the 1st picture and you can see a tiny little box right beside the middle of the eagle. That box I believe is one of the many flags that represent the counties of Russia, which you can see that the coat of arms from that era does indeed host flags on both sides of the wings.

So whatever this thing is, it's definitely 100 years old, this disk is within the 1830 - early 1900's circa for sure. According to my area's history, I can only assume the disk was made around the late 1800's.

Hopefully this can further narrow down the identification of the disk in some way, I feel like we're getting somewhere at least.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm hoping that we can find this mystery disk's true identity, I definitely won't give up the search myself anytime soon. For now I only have assumptions, and atm I'm thinking that this used to be attached to something of value or interest.
    Last edited by PenguSupreme; 10-29-2020 at 05:34 PM.