Thread: Traded a Nazi badge for Iron Age Axe

Traded a Nazi badge for Iron Age Axe

Hello friends,
    As you all know, I recently went on a 8-day trip detecting in Bavaria. On the way there we stopped to pick up one of our German detecting buddies. You should see his display case! (Makes mine look like child's play). He was showing us an iron age socketed axe (Celtic) he had found the week before. He hadn't even cleaned it yet. It dates to about 500 B.C. (give or take a hundred years). I was saying how much I loved the old axes and really admired the craftsmanship that went into making them. He hands it to me and says "Here, it's yours." I was so surprised and thanked him about a million times. His favorite finds are the Nazi badges and relics and he has quite a nice collection of them. I said I would give him any Nazi stuff that I found on our trip. And wouldn't you know it, I found the best, most perfect Nazi military hat badge... But I was more than happy to give it to him as he has been more than generous with me!

I ran the axe head through electrolysis and just finished dipping it in wax today. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

That would be a no brainer trade for me! The axe turned out beautifully, Dave. What an incredible relic! Do you know if this axe was used strictly for chopping wood, or was it primarily a weapon?

I agree with your comment about the craftmanship. Look at those bands around the lip. Purely decorative and unnecessary, I imagine, but they speak of the pride that went into the creation.

AWESOME!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wow what a couple awesome relics! I think you got the best of the deal...that ax is KILLER! Literally KILLER!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Yep, I would have made that trade in a heartbeat. Well done!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Do you know if this axe was used strictly for chopping wood, or was it primarily a weapon?
    Tony, all the literature I can find on these types of axes is that they were used for cutting down trees and working wood beams.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger