Thread: My New Oldest Coin! 100-60 BC!

My New Oldest Coin! 100-60 BC!

Hello Friends,
    Yesterday I went detecting with my buddies up in the Jura Mountains. It's a 2-hour drive from my house. The weather was great. Temps in the upper 30's but sunny and no wind. We were finding a lot of medieval relics and coins (another post once I get everything cleaned up).

I was swinging as I was walking and as I stepped over a fallen tree I swung my coil way to the right. I paused for a second because I thought I heard a tiny beep. I went back and sure enough it was a faint repeatable signal but not strong enough to register any numbers on the display. I ended up digging 8 or 9 inches deep in the rocks to get to the target. This was not normal as I had been digging targets all day at 2 or 3 inches.

I was digging very carefully and scooping the dirt out with my hand when I saw a green disk flash by. At first I thought it was a button but as I wiped the dirt off I could see it was actually a Celtic coin! A little research and discovered it is from the Gaul tribe known as Sequani and dates to between 100 and 60 BC. Here's a clip from Wikipedia: The Sequani were a Gallic tribe, dwelling in the upper river basin of the Arar river (Saône), the valley of the Doubs and the Jura Mountains. Their territory corresponded to Franche-Comté and part of Burgundy.

Here's a pic. The front of the coin is a head facing left (hard to see) and the back is a wolf facing left. The figures are very rudimentary though. I also added a stock photo that shows better details. Thanks for looking and happy digging.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

what a great find Dave !! the history over there is incredible
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Speechless.

I found a few small tombac buttons this weekend. They date back to about 250 BP.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

When you get stateside I'll bet it'll be difficult digging mercury dimes!!

Elite Member
    Not much to say about that, amazing. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Stunning find! I am sure the views in that area are amazing! Plus MDing, sounds like a dream!

Whatever you do, don't accidentally spend it in the candy bar vending machine!

Congrats on the mind boggling find, Dave! It is in remarkable shape too! Easily identifiable and the 2000+ year old patina is spectacular. It would set my imagination reeling just holding that coin in my hand. No words are adequate! INCREDIBLE!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Hugh congrats, Dave! Simply amazing!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Stunning coin!
    XP Deus