Thread: Medieval Door Latch/Lock I found

Medieval Door Latch/Lock I found

Hey Diggers,
    I found an exciting relic this last weekend! A medieval door latch. The front plate is missing but you can see where the skeleton key went. It is very ornate and is hand-engraved with flowers and flourishes. I put it through 36 hours of electrolysis followed by a coating of paraffin. Time period is late 1500's to 1600's. It is completely hand-forged and has a great look to it (IMO). I have no idea how it got in the middle of the forest though! I think this is one of my favorite relics and not something that was on my bucket list but an exciting find for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

This is spectacular beyond words, Dave! I wonder what it was attached to and how it ended up in the woods? Of course, maybe there wasn't a woods there 400+ years ago. I love the hand-engraved designs on it. Craftsmanship was an amazing thing back in those days. The etchings are totally unnecessary to the functionality of the latch, yet the fabricator added them with pride. A latch like this wasn't for peasants! Perhaps it was on a treasure chest.

Congrats on the wonderful find, and the incredible job of cleaning and preserving it!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wow! The coolness factor of that piece is up there with some of your other great finds.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Such delicate work! You're going to need to mail your finds home! Are you anxious to get home even though you're making out like a bandit?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

the craftmanship on a semi ordinary item is astounding makes you wonder what the home looked like , very interesting piece Dave
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album