Sunday i was only afforded a few hours out to play in the woods , to check out a possible site and maybe hit a couple older "hammered out" sites with a new deus program for the heavy iron . Well the "possible site" wasn't anything but i did hit a coin spill in the woods (2 indians 1863 , 1881 and a 1893 v-nickel ) , a random hunter's drop i'm sure.

The sites we went to were ones George and I hit about 10 years ago , it was a great area that yielded maybe 600 to 700 buttons and more than a dozen coins in the many times we went to hit it (for years) . Unfortunately the finds were getting very sparse and I haven't been back in years but one of the friends suggested it as we were just around the corner from there and i've been wanting to test out the deus on some of these low producing places . so with a new program and the high elliptical coil i purposely stayed near the iron infested cellar lips and iron patches. I was rewarded with 14 buttons many i know the DFX would of never have heard in all that iron and the find of the day was this Name:  Flintlock found.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  77.5 KB , it was a very surprising find as I've found many gun parts (trigger guards , stock and side plates) but a complete flintlock barrel with breech plug has been on my list for some time now. A good friend media blasted the rust off Name:  Flintlock blasted.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  57.5 KB and revealed the centuries old closed powder hole where the flash pan would of sat Name:  Flintlock blasted closeup of hole and breech.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  38.4 KB and the breech plug is mostly all there (broke where the screw was that held it to the wooden stock.Name:  Flintlock paited.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  17.1 KB he also put a nice coat of flat "wrought iron black" paint to protect it from re rusting. I imagine it resembled one of these two very similar octagon barreled versions back in its day 200 plus years ago. Name:  flintlock side 2.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  14.5 KBName:  flintlock side.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  27.3 KB

The deus is a "beast" in the iron and i was pulling the tiniest of buttons in the iron matrix of the cellar lip edges , simply amazing machine.

Dan