Thread: "big iron"

"big iron"

Sunday i was only afforded a few hours out to play in the woods , to check out a possible site and maybe hit a couple older "hammered out" sites with a new deus program for the heavy iron . Well the "possible site" wasn't anything but i did hit a coin spill in the woods (2 indians 1863 , 1881 and a 1893 v-nickel ) , a random hunter's drop i'm sure.

The sites we went to were ones George and I hit about 10 years ago , it was a great area that yielded maybe 600 to 700 buttons and more than a dozen coins in the many times we went to hit it (for years) . Unfortunately the finds were getting very sparse and I haven't been back in years but one of the friends suggested it as we were just around the corner from there and i've been wanting to test out the deus on some of these low producing places . so with a new program and the high elliptical coil i purposely stayed near the iron infested cellar lips and iron patches. I was rewarded with 14 buttons many i know the DFX would of never have heard in all that iron and the find of the day was this Name:  Flintlock found.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  77.5 KB , it was a very surprising find as I've found many gun parts (trigger guards , stock and side plates) but a complete flintlock barrel with breech plug has been on my list for some time now. A good friend media blasted the rust off Name:  Flintlock blasted.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  57.5 KB and revealed the centuries old closed powder hole where the flash pan would of sat Name:  Flintlock blasted closeup of hole and breech.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  38.4 KB and the breech plug is mostly all there (broke where the screw was that held it to the wooden stock.Name:  Flintlock paited.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  17.1 KB he also put a nice coat of flat "wrought iron black" paint to protect it from re rusting. I imagine it resembled one of these two very similar octagon barreled versions back in its day 200 plus years ago. Name:  flintlock side 2.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  14.5 KBName:  flintlock side.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  27.3 KB

The deus is a "beast" in the iron and i was pulling the tiniest of buttons in the iron matrix of the cellar lip edges , simply amazing machine.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That sir, is an awesome relic!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Oh I like that Dan!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Very cool find Dan, your friend did a great job cleaning it up!
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

That is a really cool find Del! Which program are you running on the deus?
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

That barrel is so very cool! Ron did a fantastic job on it too. It looks great and that will certainly be a centerpiece find for the Del museum. Congrats! Loving the Deus. It is a beast in the iron!
    XP Deus

Such an incredible piece of history saved from being lost forever! I am reading so many Deus success stories. It's great that a detector like this can open up pounded sites for new possibilities.

It cleaned up beautifully, Dan! Museum piece!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Dan, what would a colonial homesteader do with a pistol? Didn't they hunt with longer barreled guns? Also, would some of the musket balls we find go with that gun?
    Great job!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    That sir, is an awesome relic!
    Thank you sir ! I've been waiting on a find as this !

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Oh I like that Dan!
    me too Jeff , thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Very cool find Dan, your friend did a great job cleaning it up!
    Yes his name is Ron Yingling i was out with him and his twin Brother Rick , we all swing the Deus and we all did pretty well for only a few hours hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    That is a really cool find Del! Which program are you running on the deus?
    I was using Calabash Digger's pitch program reactivity 3 and bump it up to 5 in the bad iron , thank you Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    That barrel is so very cool! Ron did a fantastic job on it too. It looks great and that will certainly be a centerpiece find for the Del museum. Congrats! Loving the Deus. It is a beast in the iron!
    it continuously impressed me in the iron , and i just finished it spot in the display with other gun parts and bullets and round ball Name:  display.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  43.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Such an incredible piece of history saved from being lost forever! I am reading so many Deus success stories. It's great that a detector like this can open up pounded sites for new possibilities.

It cleaned up beautifully, Dan! Museum piece!

Thanks Tony , the machine does so well in iron infested areas especially with the 9 inch high frequency elliptical coil.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Dan, what would a colonial homesteader do with a pistol? Didn't they hunt with longer barreled guns? Also, would some of the musket balls we find go with that gun?
    Great job!
    Drew , this was a huge weapon of maybe .60 caliber or more , definitely wasn't a "boot" pistol and easy to conceal . This does explain some of the large caliber round ball i had found here in the past .

Dan
    Last edited by del; 11-25-2020 at 02:53 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That's an awesome find Dan! I'm guessing you'll be going back to find the rest.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Truly a people who'd just fought off the greatest power on the planet! Proud of the heritage we all share! That is a great relic.