Thread: Finds from the past 2 months - lots of goodies!

Finds from the past 2 months - lots of goodies!

Hi all. Here's some pics of finds from some of my hunts since mid October. There have been a few "dud" hunts here and there during which I found only 1 copper or a few buttons, but I was fortunate to locate 4 virgin sites and snag some nice keepers. My large copper count currently stands at 54 fty, and given the increasingly snowy, cold weather my hunts may be over until next spring. We'll see. Thanks for looking and HH!

John

-------------------------

October - north central VT

Name:  wideshot 2.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  37.5 KBName:  coin obverses.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  35.9 KBName:  coin reverses.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  33.8 KB
    This single site produced quite well as it was in a field across from an early 1800s, still standing church. Lots of buttons (nothing too noteworthy) and 4 coppers including an 1807 DB, '38 Matron LC, wiped KG3 and one of my coolest coppers of the year - an 1825 40 Reis coin from the Portuguese colony of Sao Tome in West Africa. Oh, the stories that coin could tell.

November - Champlain Valley site 1

Name:  wideshot.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  46.4 KBName:  Copper obverses.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  32.1 KBName:  IH obverses.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  26.5 KB
    This is the first of two virgin sites I found in November, and was actually two homesites side by side in a field. Nabbed two nice early buckles, two IHs ('66 and '83) and three coppers - a wiped British of some sort, Connecticut copper and a sharp '46 Braided Hair.

November - Champlain Valley site 2

Name:  wideshot 1.jpg
Size:  50.6 KBName:  wideshot 2.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  45.5 KBName:  1798 DB LC.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  27.6 KBName:  Matron 1831.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  32.0 KB
    This is the second virgin site from November - only 300 yards across the river from the prior sites shown just above! This was a 3/4 mile hike out across a cornfield as access was limited, but well worth it. Best finds from this site was the early saddle shield strap guide and the 1798 DB - my 5th '98 DB. Several very early pewter/lead buttons also showed their faces here. The '31 Matron came from an otherwise unremarkable site a few miles away the following week.

December - Champlain Valley

Name:  wideshot 1.jpg
Size:  41.4 KBName:  wideshot 2.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  44.0 KBName:  coin wideshot.jpg
Size:  27.7 KBName:  DB HC 1805.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  36.8 KBName:  DB HC reverse.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  29.2 KBName:  GW medal front.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  28.5 KBName:  GW medal back.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  28.6 KBName:  War of 1812 41st regiment NY militia button.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  32.6 KBName:  crotal bell.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  22.1 KB
    This was probably the best site of the 4 sites shown here - actually a homesite and the first school in town (c. 1787) directly across from one another in a hay field. Road is no longer there - just a fence line now. Where to start...nabbed a random SLQ and five coppers, the best of which was only my second DB Half Cent and an uncommon K. William IV - what a giant coin! Best relics were the ornate shoe buckle frame, a war of 1812 41st regiment NY button, crotal bell with cool jet black patina, and a commemorative George Washington medal in lead pewter! Still trying to ID this medal as I can't find a match online. I'm sure someone will know somewhere. This site was abandoned in the 1850s so definitely early to mid 1800s given it lists his death date of Dec. 1799 on the reverse.
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

A ton of nice finds there John. Wow! That KW IV is a honker. I hope you can ID the GW medal. Could be a rare piece. Saddle strap is nice! Great buttons, DB half cent....the list goes on!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Awesome finds! My favorites are the 1798 Draped Bust and the Washington Medal. Congrats!
    XP Deus

Those are some "epic" hunts John , love the coins and relics !! Washington medals and or tokens can get a bit difficult to properly id as they made them when he was president , at the time of his death , again on the 100 year anniversary of his birth and even the 150th anniversary of his birth. love the NY button (curious as to know why you know its a 41st regiment) .

again great finds !!

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow, it's like taking a virtual walk through a museum, awesome stuff and thanks for posting! Good luck!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

John, as usual, stunning finds.

Yeah stunning is good word for all of that!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

That's a fine bunch of swinging. Super nice finds and research.
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Well done! Those are some great finds!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    A ton of nice finds there John. Wow! That KW IV is a honker. I hope you can ID the GW medal. Could be a rare piece. Saddle strap is nice! Great buttons, DB half cent....the list goes on!
    Thanks Jeff. Yeah, the KW4 sounded like a can it was so loud! I did get an ID for the medal. It's a commemorative medal issued in 1832 on the anniversary of GW's birth. Full link here (https://www.sixbid.com/index.html/st...IsSticky=false).

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B View Post
    Awesome finds! My favorites are the 1798 Draped Bust and the Washington Medal. Congrats!
    Thanks Donnie!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Those are some "epic" hunts John , love the coins and relics !! Washington medals and or tokens can get a bit difficult to properly id as they made them when he was president , at the time of his death , again on the 100 year anniversary of his birth and even the 150th anniversary of his birth. love the NY button (curious as to know why you know its a 41st regiment) .

again great finds !!

Dan
    Thanks Dan! Yeah, I did about another hour of searching before I came across a match (see link above). Per the Stacks and Bowers info it was likely issued during some event, possibly in Philly, on the 100 year anniversary of his death in 1832. They mention most of the known medals of this type are pierced (like mine), giving credence to the idea that they were worn as an adornment during that event. In regard to the 1812 eagle button, I reference Albert's book, pp. 31/32 (R41K), though you're question is valid. It's definitely that style, and you can positively see the remnants of "EXCELSIOR" along the bottom. It's difficult, if not impossible to make out any roman numerals above that however. Do I assume correctly that there were many other NY regiments during the war? If so, then maybe NY militia, war of 1812 eagle button is as far as you could reasonably state.

Quote Originally Posted by milco View Post
    Wow, it's like taking a virtual walk through a museum, awesome stuff and thanks for posting! Good luck!
    Thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGC View Post
    John, as usual, stunning finds.
    Thanks David! Happy Holidays to you and your family. Hope all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Yeah stunning is good word for all of that!
    Thanks Jared!

Quote Originally Posted by CTTodd View Post
    That's a fine bunch of swinging. Super nice finds and research.
    Thanks Todd. Loved your recent 2 Reales find btw.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Well done! Those are some great finds!
    Thanks a lot!
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos