Thread: Help with dating bullets?

Help with dating bullets?

Can anyone help with age and/or type of bullets?

These are from a recent hunt at a site where I am trying so additional research and any info you can provide would be very helpful. This is not a battle site, but a wooded site along a waterway.

Thanks!

Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

I don't claim to be some kind of expert on bullets but those look kinda modern to me. They remind me of some muzzle loader ammo I've seen before. The second one from the left on the bottom row looks like a handgun round to me. But again, I could be waaaay off.

Have you come across any coinage at this site? To possibly help you date the activity there?
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

I agree with Ill digger. They are all modern. The bottom row are called wad cutters and may be 38 caliber. Top left looks like a 45 caliber and the next two look like muzzle loaders. Accurate measurements of diameter and length will help ID them correctly.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
    I agree with Ill digger. They are all modern. The bottom row are called wad cutters and may be 38 caliber. Top left looks like a 45 caliber and the next two look like muzzle loaders. Accurate measurements of diameter and length will help ID them correctly.
    Thank you for the comments!

Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    I don't claim to be some kind of expert on bullets but those look kinda modern to me. They remind me of some muzzle loader ammo I've seen before. The second one from the left on the bottom row looks like a handgun round to me. But again, I could be waaaay off.

Have you come across any coinage at this site? To possibly help you date the activity there?
    Thanks Tim! I have found nothing yet except these bullets. This is old woods and has been public land in an urban area for 90+ years, so that is why I am asking for some ID help.

I'm definitely not an ammo expert either, but I do know that lead gets a white patina on it when it has been in the ground a long time.

Name:  4 BULLET.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  58.3 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    ...that lead gets a white patina on it when it has been in the ground a long time.
    I've always heard about 150 years but I don't know if any scientific studies have been done on the subject.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

These were not white, but were a grey color similar to the color in the crevices as you see them now, until I ran them in the tumbler with a bunch of other lead for scrap. I just have never really found any bullets like this, so that is why I posted. This is along a waterway and there is a pretty large area with a lot of giant oak trees that are probably 150-225+ years old on rise above a river.