Thread: Relics from the War of Polish Succession

Relics from the War of Polish Succession

Hey diggers,
    I was able to get out last weekend to a spot about an hour from here. It's a forest area and on the German maps it's name translates to "French Trenches." This area corresponds with a French map from a battle in 1734. It is not a secret place and has been detected countless times over the years. The high tones are almost completely gone now and all that's left is deep iron signals. That's okay though because we like finding relics too. Between the 3 of us we found 7 cannonballs/grenades. I found my first complete hollow sphere hand grenade! Here is some pics before & after. Thanks for looking and happy hunting, Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

You have mastered the art of electrolysis, Dave! That hand grenade looks brand new. Can you imagine how dangerous it was holding an object like that in your hand when it's full of gunpowder and has a lit fuse? Quite a historical object.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

great find Dave and superb job on the restoration too are there any remnants of the fort in the map as well and is it off limits to explore ?

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I agree, You have mastered the art of electrolysis! Everything you find looks museum quality after you clean it!
    Cool grenade
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    are there any remnants of the fort? Dan
    Del, I cropped the photo but an entire town now sits where the fortress once was. All the stones ended up going into houses, barns, and other structures in the city. Some of the roads in the town are in the exact same place as they were in 1734 though and even still outline the shape of the ramparts in places.
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    Del, I cropped the photo but an entire town now sits where the fortress once was. All the stones ended up going into houses, barns, and other structures in the city. Some of the roads in the town are in the exact same place as they were in 1734 though and even still outline the shape of the ramparts in places.
    Thats too bad about the fortress , i see there is a goodyear tire plant close by . no doubt they have built up over some of that historic ground too . great finds again Dave
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great find Dave! And the restoration is something to gawk at. Congrats!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Congrats, Dave! That's going to cost you to mail it home
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Oh man, that is nice! Yeah I think it might be cheaper for you to buy one of those big intermodal containers and send all your finds back to the states on a cargo ship.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

How do you clean out the inside of the grenade? I mean it obviously never exploded. Wasn't their remnants of gun powder inside? Probably dumb question.
    BTW, it's fascinating your discovery of the history of an area. Do you ever do much door knocking? Never know what is in someone's yard. Look forward to your return to the states and see the museum!

I wouldn't use the word grenade in your description when mailing home!!
    Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    You have mastered the art of electrolysis, Dave! That hand grenade looks brand new. Can you imagine how dangerous it was holding an object like that in your hand when it's full of gunpowder and has a lit fuse? Quite a historical object.
    Thanks Tony, I agree it would be very scary to hold that thing with a lit fuse in your hand. Even though it is the size of a baseball it weighs right at 3 pounds! I don't think you could throw it very far!

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    I agree, You have mastered the art of electrolysis! Everything you find looks museum quality after you clean it!
    Thanks Don!

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Great find Dave! And the restoration is something to gawk at. Congrats! John
    Thanks John!

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Lucky for me Uncle Sam will foot the shipping bill!

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Oh man, that is nice! Yeah I think it might be cheaper for you to buy one of those big intermodal containers and send all your finds back to the states on a cargo ship.
    I could probably get by with a tricon, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    How do you clean out the inside of the grenade? I mean it obviously never exploded. Wasn't their remnants of gun powder inside? Probably dumb question. BTW, it's fascinating your discovery of the history of an area. Do you ever do much door knocking? Never know what is in someone's yard.
    Noah, there was no sign of gun powder or the wooden plug. It was filled with just mud. Maybe it was never even "loaded?" No door knocking here since no one has yards! All detecting is done in fields or forest. Let me tell you, there is PLENTY to find without ever needing to knock on a door. I met a guy that lucked out on a street tear out in Trier. He followed the trucks hauling the dirt and got permission to detect the piles. They found over 300 Roman coins! LOL

That's so cool!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Fantastic! Dig the relics the other guys left behind.
    XP Deus

Love the map!
    XP Deus