Thread: Boom!

Boom!

More finds from the "Artillery sites" , these were a group early homesteads not terribly far from an American fort and from all the recent artillery , light artillery type buttons many must of been enlisted there. Five of us made the hike in and even though we were forced to leave a bit early due to weather , we all did pretty well as we have been for the last few weeks . It was still dark when we arrived at the first cellar site and it was still that way when i got an early draped bust half cent !sorry for only the cleaned up pictures of it Name:  Jan4th 1805 HC back.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  124.5 KB Name:  Jan4th 1805 HC front.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  114.3 KB , I wished we found more of these coins . while still working this particular small field i dug some of the bigger iron targets (its a habit of mine to check) I like using the x/y screen on the deus and if i get a certain type of line configuration on an iron target i dig it . Many times this has netted me two tine colonial forks and other oddities , well this time the oddity was this Name:  Jan4th cannon ball dug.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  48.1 KB a three pound cannon ball ! no doubt one of the young artillery men brought home a practice ball or souvenir from the fort !!! these 3 pounders sometimes referred to as "goloopers" were used from the revolutionary war to as late as the civil war but most of the buttons and items are between the late 1700's to about the 1830's . My buddy Ron did his magic on restoring the ball from the before to after.Name:  Jan4th cannon ball before after.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  70.2 KB Also i knabbed a broken end of what is known as "bar shot" , basically its two smaller iron balls connected by a rod between 8 and 12 inches long. It would tumble once out of the fired cannon designed to wreak havoc on ships sails , masts and rigging. with this was about 10 buttons and trinkets . Name:  Jan4th finds.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  44.4 KB

Good way to start out the new year!!

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow! That is a cool find there Dan. Cleaned up great too! Nice half cent. I remember every single one I have ever dug because I have only found one. And it was the first copper I ever found. Imagine getting hit by that 3 lb golooper.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Great finds, Dan! The Draped Bust Half Cent cleaned up well. Might it be 1803? Hard to read that last digit.

The cannonball and bar shot are awesome finds too! Both of those could wreak havoc when fired. Boom indeed!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Oh I like that cannon ball for sure! Your buddy did a great job restoring it. The half cent is on my bucket list...maybe this year I will find one?
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Nice finds Del, love the 1/2 cent. It's in great shape too. The cannonball and bar-shot are very nice too. What's the squarish thing next to the toe tap?
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Wow! That is a cool find there Dan. Cleaned up great too! Nice half cent. I remember every single one I have ever dug because I have only found one. And it was the first copper I ever found. Imagine getting hit by that 3 lb golooper.
    There is an account of a British Marine or sailor being hit by a "galooper" just after the "Raid of Essex" in the war of 1812 , poor soul i couldn't imagine ! Thanks Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Great finds, Dan! The Draped Bust Half Cent cleaned up well. Might it be 1803? Hard to read that last digit.

The cannonball and bar shot are awesome finds too! Both of those could wreak havoc when fired. Boom indeed!

Tony the half cent is an 1805 , Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Oh I like that cannon ball for sure! Your buddy did a great job restoring it. The half cent is on my bucket list...maybe this year I will find one?
    Yes Ron does some amazing work , he's probably tired of seeing all the iron i've collected . lol Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    Nice finds Del, love the 1/2 cent. It's in great shape too. The cannonball and bar-shot are very nice too. What's the squarish thing next to the toe tap?
    Dave its a decorative piece of pewter , although i'm not sure what its from but its in remarkable shape for pewter. Thanks

BOOM is Right ! super nice find and skilled use of you Deus. I didn't know that you had found this. Really nice
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Wow! I'm amazed at how well the cannonball came out! That's pretty!
    Sweet hunt Dan!
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by CTTodd View Post
    BOOM is Right ! super nice find and skilled use of you Deus. I didn't know that you had found this. Really nice
    Its because i don't plaster forty Facebook groups with my finds like everyone else does , only one of the very few i belong to at random . Sorry you missed it Todd and thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Wow! I'm amazed at how well the cannonball came out! That's pretty!
    Sweet hunt Dan!
    Congrats!
    Thank you Tim

Love that half cent, very nice condition! The cannon ball cleaned up great too.
    Nice way to start 2021
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Great finds Dan and a solid start to your year! Love both of those finds. I probably need a higher-end machine than the AT-Pro to help me discriminate between good and bad iron targets. I've dug a few nice iron items over the past few years, but they seem to be just random, lucky digs more than me actually "knowing" it's likely something good.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Love that half cent, very nice condition! The cannon ball cleaned up great too.
    Nice way to start 2021
    Thanks Don

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Great finds Dan and a solid start to your year! Love both of those finds. I probably need a higher-end machine than the AT-Pro to help me discriminate between good and bad iron targets. I've dug a few nice iron items over the past few years, but they seem to be just random, lucky digs more than me actually "knowing" it's likely something good.

John
    John , i like to dig big sounding iron at times and it has paid off many times .Thanks

If I lived where you do, so close to such amazing sites I'd ........just wow! Speechless!

I don't know where this site is, nor do I want to know, but have you heard about the Civil War cannon testing grounds in north west CT? They were producing the largest cannons the world had ever seen...the projectiles must have been immense.
    Congrats!! Let me guess...it was dark when you arrived...and dark when you got home
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Wow!!
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...

That's a great group of finds Dan!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Dang you Danny! I dug up a dozen horse shoes after you found that cannonball! I tried like hell to find one!
    XP Deus