Thread: Cold 20 mins

Cold 20 mins

Hey everyone,

After work today I hit my most difficult site. It's a corn field where there are plenty of post civil war coins waiting for me...I find them every so often but it's tough sledding as the soil is NOT my friend. Every swing produces falsing. I've tried sens down, different Nox programs, beach programs, one frequency, tracking ground balance...with my old T2 I was relegated to listening for anything outside the normal falsing sounds.
    If you recall, it was the first site I stupidly brought my new Nox to. I thought the Minelab magic would do the work for me. It didn't.
    I'd like to say I've overcome all the technical issues and can now quietly hunt the sight, but I still can't. At best I have good days and bad...I think it has to do with how much moisture is in the soil. There seems to be a window of a few days after a good soaking rain where things are quieter.
    Today, the soil sounded horrible but luckily I locked onto a 5in 12/11. I dig anything that repeats there.
    Out popped my third rays shield. Probably an 1866. Weirdly, I've only found one without rays.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That's beautiful Drew!
    SPECTRA V3i, BH 505, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

That is a beauty of a Shield! I like those kind of sites because you know that there is stuff there and when you find something, like you did, it is just that much more satisfying. Well done!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 800 x2
    2021 Season Totals:
    Clad: $2.12
    Indians:
    Wheaties: 3
    Silver: 4
    Favorite 2021 find: 1896S semi-key dime

Man, that reverse side is in awesome shape! The front side not so much but I can just make out the date. It says lops, yup the date is lops.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic Coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 Pfennig from Bavaria, Germany
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coin EVER: 1625 Escalin from Chateau Renaud, France
    Best Relics: ca. 14th C. Spur, 1500 B.C. Bronze Arrowheads & Spearhead
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Thanks, guys!
    Roger, they don't come out with that kind of tone and sharpness around here...especially from a corn field.

Jared, this corn field was a ball field from the turn of the century until 1930ish. Each village in my town (and we have like 7 villages) had a ball team and they played each other with many fans. So I know the coins are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    It says lops, yup the date is lops.
    Maybe it says 1156? hmmmm? Pfenning boy!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Beautiful Shield Nickel. Have you tried one frequency on the Nox?
    XP Deus

Veteran Member
    Wow nice Shield. Better shape then what I usually see posted. Congrats. WD
    Wisconsin Digger
    115 silver
    1500 silver since 2012

Thanks, WD and Donnie!
    Yep Donnie, as I mentioned I routinely use 5kHz. Sometimes it works better than multi at this particular site....but I also like to use it at hunted out parks where I have to go deeper than man has ever gone before Although I have to toggle back and forth to multi to check for bottle caps. Thanks!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

The reverse of that Shield Nickel is gorgeous! I would have left it just like that. The details really pop. I have found 10 Shield Nickels and only one of them has rays.

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 392 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 67 V Nickels, 122 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 128 Barber Dimes, 384 Mercury Dimes, 238 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 15 Barber Quarters, 17 Standing Liberty Quarters, 85 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg