Thread: Cold 20 mins

Cold 20 mins

Hey everyone,

After work today I hit my most difficult site. It's a corn field where there are plenty of post civil war coins waiting for me...I find them every so often but it's tough sledding as the soil is NOT my friend. Every swing produces falsing. I've tried sens down, different Nox programs, beach programs, one frequency, tracking ground balance...with my old T2 I was relegated to listening for anything outside the normal falsing sounds.
    If you recall, it was the first site I stupidly brought my new Nox to. I thought the Minelab magic would do the work for me. It didn't.
    I'd like to say I've overcome all the technical issues and can now quietly hunt the sight, but I still can't. At best I have good days and bad...I think it has to do with how much moisture is in the soil. There seems to be a window of a few days after a good soaking rain where things are quieter.
    Today, the soil sounded horrible but luckily I locked onto a 5in 12/11. I dig anything that repeats there.
    Out popped my third rays shield. Probably an 1866. Weirdly, I've only found one without rays.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

That's beautiful Drew!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

That is a beauty of a Shield! I like those kind of sites because you know that there is stuff there and when you find something, like you did, it is just that much more satisfying. Well done!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Man, that reverse side is in awesome shape! The front side not so much but I can just make out the date. It says lops, yup the date is lops.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Thanks, guys!
    Roger, they don't come out with that kind of tone and sharpness around here...especially from a corn field.

Jared, this corn field was a ball field from the turn of the century until 1930ish. Each village in my town (and we have like 7 villages) had a ball team and they played each other with many fans. So I know the coins are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    It says lops, yup the date is lops.
    Maybe it says 1156? hmmmm? Pfenning boy!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Beautiful Shield Nickel. Have you tried one frequency on the Nox?
    XP Deus

Elite Member
    Wow nice Shield. Better shape then what I usually see posted. Congrats. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Thanks, WD and Donnie!
    Yep Donnie, as I mentioned I routinely use 5kHz. Sometimes it works better than multi at this particular site....but I also like to use it at hunted out parks where I have to go deeper than man has ever gone before Although I have to toggle back and forth to multi to check for bottle caps. Thanks!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

The reverse of that Shield Nickel is gorgeous! I would have left it just like that. The details really pop. I have found 10 Shield Nickels and only one of them has rays.

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thats a dandy shield nickel Drew!
    And it's not red. I like the brown patina. That's different!
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Congrats on the nickel !!! i've only got two with "rays" (1866 and 67) out of the 8 , Drew and recently started to tumble some of my coins and buttons . I also noticed the shield nickels and the 2 centers clean up pretty well from being tumbled
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Never found a Shield Nickel. Congrats!
    XP Deus