Thread: Have you heard about this old German money called "Notgeld?"

Have you heard about this old German money called "Notgeld?"

Hello Friends,

Have you heard about this type of money before? I only recently discovered it and I must admit I really like it. I find the bills to be very artistic and beautiful. Their story is interesting.

During WW1 and shortly after, Germany had a problem with no money in circulation. This is because everyone was hoarding coins. The banks, merchants, and cities complained to the government about this lack of money. The German government was too busy trying to manage the war and they told everyone to just go print their own money. And thus was born the Notgeld (emergency money). At first the designs were simple but very quickly the bills became more elaborate and decorative, sometimes telling stories about the village or city. Collectors took note and the bills quickly became very collectable with a high demand for the more elaborate designs. Many municipalities began printing the bills just for the collecting market even after the need for emergency money had passed. Because so many 100,000's were printed and collected, today they can be found in uncirculated condition for only a couple dollars each. Here's an example of one from my collection, from the city of Beckum (Stadt Beckum).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Wow, Dave, those are beautiful! Obviously a lot of work went into designing and producing them. It's great that you can obtain such wonderful pieces of history at an affordable price. Very cool!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Beautiful notes. One of these days I'm going to frame some stuff that I have.....................one of these days.
    XP Deus

So very interesting, Dave. They had so many positive things happen in the 1920s including the Bauhaus, radical departures in all the arts, sadly it all was washed away in the 30s. Have you picked up any German?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Have you picked up any German?

He has only learned one sentence: "Can I metal detect on your property?"
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    He has only learned one sentence: "Can I metal detect on your property?"
    Nein, nein. Noch ein bier, bitte!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    Nein, nein. Noch ein bier, bitte!
    Okay TWO sentences!
    Lifetime totals:

On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Learned something new today! Yeah "go ahead and print your own money" probably not sound fiscal strategy.

"Notgeld" is something a stallion whispers in his filly's ear.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notgeld

There have been some coins, too. Go & find 'em.

Dave, sometimes you can find those banknotes at the Trödelmarkt (fleamarket) for cheap. A nice collection you have there.