Thread: Interesting 1550 Alphabet Coin I Found

Threaded View

Interesting 1550 Alphabet Coin I Found

Hello friends,
    I was able to get out this last Sunday to that castle ruins about 15 miles from my home. The castle was built in the late 12th century with the first recorded reference being in 1237. I spent about 3 hours hiking around looking for good spots to detect and settled on a flat area. Right away I began finding bits of medieval iron bits and nails (I'm still cleaning all that stuff up). Here is a coin I found. It is a "Nuremberg Rechenmeister" counting coin used by the money counters. "Rechenmeister" translates to arithmetic master. The front depicts a money counter at his table and the back depicts the alphabet that was current in 1550. The coin is copper and is in pretty good shape for being in the ground almost 471 years! The front is toasted but the back is in pretty good nick. Some things to notice about the alphabet of 1550: Backwards D, no J, no V (the one you see is U), and no W. After doing some research I believe the coin depicts Johann Neudörffer the Elder. I can't find anything to back that up but check out his story in Wikipedia!

Here is some pics and thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger