Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detecting Trip Bonanza

Detecting Trip Bonanza

This year I had been planning to make a three day detecting trip to either Ohio, New York, or even here in Massachusetts. The year would soon be over, so this past Thursday I finally took the plunge and made the necessary arrangements, electing to detect at a few locations in Massachusetts. Even though I would be detecting in my home state commuting the three hour one-way drive did not appeal to me, so I booked a motel room not far from the sites I had planned to hit. I arrived at the motel at 3:00 PM on Thursday, got settled in and reviewed the list of sites I planned to detect during the next few days. By 4:00 I was at one of the sites to look it over. Public parks are appealing to me because many detectorist tend to give up on them as 'hunted out'. They would be surprised at what it is they are missing.

I ended the trip with 15 silver coins, 35 coppers, two 2-cent pieces, several Indian Head cents, and a good number of old wheat cents.

Thursday: Just a tease of finds

I had intended to remain at each site for about thirty minutes before heading to the next site as all I wanted to do was to check out the locations to determine if the grounds had been redone, what type of trash layered the ground, and how much of it I could expect to deal with. However, the temptation to remain at the first site had been too great after I picked up two Indian Head cents. The planned 35 minutes turned to 2 1/2 hours but during that time I had dug up several old coins, and though I wanted to stay for a while longer the rain that was now steadily falling forced me to head back to the motel room. The next day was one I was eagerly looking forward to.

This 1806 half cent was in the same hole as the large coin. I ended up scratching it while attempting to retrieve the larger target. I still love her though.

This large and thick coin is a 1814 Dom Joao VI Copper 40 Reis from Portugal. What a heavy coin! I can't imagine carrying several of them around.

A Nova Scotia coin, dated 1852.

Six Indian Head cents and one lone silver.

Friday: A day of coppers

I had made the detecting trip in the hopes of picking up a few old silver coins, but what this site had in stored for me was a complete and pleasant surprise. I arrived early in the morning, selected a spot near some very old trees and proceeded to grid and listen for the deep targets. The surface trash did not bother me much as I carefully listened for those deep signals I have become very familiar with. Within fifteen minutes I had a good one. I dug down a good nine inches before the X-1 probe screamed loudly, alerting me of the targets nearness. Another inch or two of soil later I had in my hand a large cent. I had a huge smile, but it would pale by comparison to the one I would sport by the end of the day. During the next hour I picked up another four deeply buried coppers around that tree, a copper every fifteen minutes.

After while I moved on to another large tree detecting outward from it, and more or less had the same results. This went on for most of the day, and at the end of it I had in my pouch twenty old coppers! Five of them are Draped Bust cents! To say that I was ecstatic would be an incredibly silly understatement.

These are representative of what is found in the pile of twenty coppers.

Twenty coppers in one day. A personal record. They ranged in depth from 8 1/2 to 12 inches.

The five Draped Bust cents. I can make out the dates on three, 1797, 1798, and 1802. The other two still have caked-in soil. I have to be careful about not scraping off any details.

I need to take a closer look at this one. I can barely make out some digits.

This one is a 1837 Daniel Webster hard times token. It has great details.

The only two silver coins I picked up from that area, along with the IH and other miscellaneous items.

Saturday: Then the old silver showed up

I returned on Saturday to continue gridding another section of the park. I was feeling good about my chances for finding old silver. The park did not disappoint. I dug up two seated dimes, one that was part of a coin drop being in the hole with two Indian Head cents.

Another interesting one. I can make out the word Canada.

More coppers added to the pile.

An old button and the Indian Head cents.

Sunday: Closing the trip with more coppers and old silver

I had a late start in the morning as I started detecting after 9:00. I was to leave at 3:00 for the long drive back home so I had to make every minute count. I detected at another location, working it as slow as I could, focusing on the signals of the deeper targets. Soon I had Barber dime, and a while later I had another. Employing the circling-around-a-find method allowed me to pick up several coppers, a seated and Barber quarter, along with some old wheat cents. I moved along to another section and managed a few more coppers, two 2-cent pieces, and a mercury, Barber, and Roosevelt dime.

These are what I had initially made the trip for, but the end result turned out to be even sweeter.

The silver dimes.

All the silver together.

The two cent pieces made for fun finds as well.

Another Colonial copper.

Yet another Draped bust cent. This one is quite worn though.

These two were in the same hole.

Two more large cents, bringing the total to six for the day.

The old wheat cents and one Indian Head cent.

HH!

Re: Detecting Trip Bonanza

Wow, now that is truly impressive. Apparently that site is not quite hunted out yet...

Yeah... those are some all right finds.

Your hunts, somehow, keep getting more and more mind blowing. You are truly on a whole different level.

Those are simply some incredible finds. Congrats Angel.

Ever think about trying to find the Lost City of Atlantis?? I'm sure you could put that one to rest on an extended weekend hunt.

Again, congrats! A three day hunting extravaganza sounds like a great weekend and your finds were worth the trip.

Unbelievable that this could be done.....also unbelievable how many championships Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods could earn.

I am speachless...Congratulations!
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Simply amazing demonstration of your detecting abilities, All I can say is wow.. I belive your unknown 1837 one is a Van Buren Metallic Currency hard times token...Congrats on the amazing finds..

That is a simply amazing roadtrip.Most of us would be happy with those old coin totals for a season,especially the Coppers.I and a buddy have been planning a road trip to Mass.-Conn.If we could do a fraction as well,we will be very happy.Did you do much research for this trip?

Holy....

WOW!

That seated quarter is the prettiest thing I've ever seen.

Let me know if you head into NY or Ohio!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Wow, Awesome and Unreal. What more can one say . Those are some great finds and many will not find what you have there in a life time of detecting.Great Finds. Congrats. Yazoo

Awesome trip and finds! Thanks for taking the time to post pictures and take us all along for the ride! I would be happy with half of those finds in a lifetime, much less a weekend! It sure would be nice to see pictures of all those coppers when you get them cleaned up and id'd.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

HOLY CRAP! i give up. Dan and George give him the darn copper crown now
    totally freakin amazing!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Elite Member

Holy ^&*^&^%^^%&*(&*&!!!!!!!!!! Never seen anything like that before! That's it you now have a stalker, I'm going to follow you EVERYWHERE! Just kidding, some of us have to work for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    That's it you now have a stalker, I'm going to follow you EVERYWHERE! Just kidding, some of us have to work for a living.
    You could follow him every where you want and even detect right behind him, but I still don't think any of us could keep up with the silver and copper count!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Veteran Member

wow you are truely the master
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Quote Originally Posted by Myownwings View Post
    Wow, now that is truly impressive. Apparently that site is not quite hunted out yet...
    I had been told that the parks in that area had been heavily hit over the years, but I do question that claim. There was a lack of clad coins as I only dug about six or seven. It seems that the shallower silver had already been claimed as I only picked up a few during the first two days. But even so, an experienced detectorist should have been able to pick up a good amount of the deeper signals.

Quote Originally Posted by Exploreruser View Post
    Simply amazing demonstration of your detecting abilities, All I can say is wow.. I belive your unknown 1837 one is a Van Buren Metallic Currency hard times token...Congrats on the amazing finds..
    Thank you, Jack. Really though, there isn't much I am doing that cannot be done or has not been done by others who likewise take the time to learn their machine. And this isn't limited to just learning some of the top detectors, such as the V3i or E-Trac, though those two do provide some advantages. Hey, thanks for the ID on that token! I like the way it looks. It should clean up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by li tom View Post
    That is a simply amazing roadtrip.Most of us would be happy with those old coin totals for a season,especially the Coppers.I and a buddy have been planning a road trip to Mass.-Conn.If we could do a fraction as well,we will be very happy.Did you do much research for this trip?
    Not much in the way of research, but just reading about certain areas, a bit of the history, and making sure that detecting at such locations would not be a problem. I wish you much success on your trip!

Quote Originally Posted by z118 View Post
    Holy....

WOW!

That seated quarter is the prettiest thing I've ever seen.

Let me know if you head into NY or Ohio!
    I do plan to drive to the Albany area on one of the coming weekends. Hopefully we can get together then.

Quote Originally Posted by milco View Post
    Awesome trip and finds! Thanks for taking the time to post pictures and take us all along for the ride! I would be happy with half of those finds in a lifetime, much less a weekend! It sure would be nice to see pictures of all those coppers when you get them cleaned up and id'd.
    Thanks, milco! Many of the coppers should clean up well, but I will have to take my time. It looks like it will be a winter project.

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    HOLY CRAP! i give up. Dan and George give him the darn copper crown now
    totally freakin amazing!
    I'm not in the copper race, remember?

Elite Member

So how would you describe the hits on those deep coppers (and for that matter the deep silvers) for all of newbies to the E-Trac? As I have having touble with the deep targets, which is where the good stuff is!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    So how would you describe the hits on those deep coppers (and for that matter the deep silvers) for all of newbies to the E-Trac? As I have having touble with the deep targets, which is where the good stuff is!
    There are a few things a user must be willing to do to maximize the machine's ability to reach deeper targets - use a higher than usual sensitivity along with settings appropriate for the site being worked, even when the machine suggests otherwise. Be willing and able to tolerate and mentally filter through the resulting chatter. It can be a slippery slope, but it can also be well worth the effort. Go at a slow pace, though this also depends on the machine being used. And have patience! Remember too that you can't find what is not there. But if the site is an old one, and the original soil is still intact, then there should be opportunities to make some nice finds.

At the site I worked my E-Trac was suggesting a sensitivity setting of no higher than 22, but that simply would not do for me. I gradually cranked it up to a level where I could tolerate the resulting chatter. I had it at 29. Sure, a sensitivy setting of 22 would have had the E-Trac running as smooth as silk, but what good is that if I can't reach the deeper targets? I am, after all, working sites where there are many small and shallower targets, and I want to get past that noise to reach the deeper signals.

Don't expect a hit that will stop you on your tracks. That doesn't happen often on very deep targets, though I have found that early spring, when the soil is nice and damp, can be the exception. What I look for are crackles that can be discerned as being different from the chatter that results when using a high sensitivity. One must keep in mind that the machine is reacting to a metallic object. Those with experience detecting for deep targets know what I mean. I check for depth, consistency in the machine's reaction to the target, and if it pinpoints on the same location in both discriminate and pinpoint mode (though this can be a challenge at target-rich sites).

I hope that helps.

Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said?

Except this Just kidding!

Truly amazing finds, Angel. You and that machine are one. It is inspiring to know that such success can be had, with the experience and knowledge. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. It really does help.

Elite Member

Do you find any variation in the numbers for shallow vs. deeper targets? Or do the remain the same?
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

ah! WOW!! ah WOW!! man you know, you make me want to go out to a hunted out park now. i have never i mean never seen anything like that in my life. big congrats and you just keep on doing whatever you do. wild willy

It doesn't get any better SOME DAY I HOPE TO FIND ONE OF THOSE FINDS!!!
    that would make my year.

very well done

sarge
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge