Thread: First day with the Equinox

Candidate Member

First day with the Equinox

I spent Sunday searching in a friends backyard. Low overhead power, cable and phone. Wire fencing all around, metal siding on buildings. ...

It took me a while to quiet the Nox down as it had continuous chatter and too many targets to deal with. After digging a dozen random pieces of trash (dog chain, crown tops, broken pieces of toys, chunks of concreate with wire hanging out, pieces of copper pipe, wire, nails, iron stakes, foil, flashing bits ...) all at least 8" down. I re-read sections of the Equinox book by Andy Sabisch, and finally got it to quiet down. I had to drop the sensitivity to 10 and increase the recovery speed. Finally I got it to quiet down. I placed coins shallow over the top of the trash and could find them perfectly with the very low sensitivity.

I ended up finding a single 1964 Canadian penny and a bunch of junk. I am pretty confident that there were no other shallow (4" or less) coins in the area. But I did end up digging some shallow bits of roof flashing that were masquerading as coins!

All in all I learned an amazing amount about the machine and decided that my friends backyard (being about 50 yards from the original homestead) was the garbage dump for the farm.

Thanks all for the great forum! Now to take my new found knowledge to a more productive location.

AJ

It sounds like you're well on your way to learning the Nox! Learning the machine is half the battle, finding productive sites to hunt is the other half.

Keep us posted on your progress!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

You did the right thing in reducing the chatter by lowering the sensitivity. You can also noise cancel too...that can help a bit. I run my 800 as high as I can get it with out the constant chatter.

Hope you find some old things with it.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Candidate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    You did the right thing in reducing the chatter by lowering the sensitivity. You can also noise cancel too...that can help a bit. I run my 800 as high as I can get it with out the constant chatter.

Hope you find some old things with it.
    Yep, did that and ground balance repeatedly (it kept changing).

Thanks,
    AJ

ps: Where in SE Mich are you? I'm near Lapeer

ps: Where in SE Mich are you? I'm near Lapeer[/QUOTE]

I’m 25 minutes east of you. I hunted Lapeer many times.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)