Thread: Sportsman Button Spill, a few nice coins and an 1813 Wellington Half Penny Token

Sportsman Button Spill, a few nice coins and an 1813 Wellington Half Penny Token

Name:  IMG_7738.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  66.9 KBName:  IMG_7742.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  45.2 KB
    I dug this Saturday at an1880s house. I had no idea what it was ,Everyone I showed it to thought the same thing, a Harrison campaign button. I looked it up and yep there it was. It doesn't show up well in the photo, but I was sure I saw Britannia on the reverse. Dell suggested it may be an early British token so I kept looking.

It turns out it's an 1813 Field Marshall Wellington 1/2 penny token. How cool is that!!
    Here is a link to what it once looked like
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pie...NTwSPxG1x8grWA

In the same yard I dug 12 Sportsman buttons in the same hole. Strange, but I'll take it!
    They cleaned up quite nice with a little CLR
    Name:  IMG_7751_2_2_55.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  123.3 KBName:  TKWY0502 (2).jpg
Views: 212
Size:  49.0 KB

These are my coin finds for the day

Name:  IMG_7754 (2).jpg
Views: 211
Size:  148.2 KBName:  IMG_7758 (2).jpg
Views: 240
Size:  105.6 KBName:  IMG_7756 (2).jpg
Views: 214
Size:  151.4 KB

These are from a hunt a couple of weeks ago
    Name:  QHSK5183 (2).jpg
Views: 226
Size:  129.3 KB
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 06-13-2021 at 07:26 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Elite Member
    Great finds, it looks like you were detecting on the East coast. Maybe the buttons were some kids stash. That was a big surprise I bet. Since retirement I have been out once. Maybe I need to go back to work to get more detecting in. Great finds Don. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

You couldn’t leave me one of those buttons?

Those are SUPER finds, Don! Huge congrats! I found 12 buttons once along and a copper that must have been in the coat pocket before it rotted away.
    1813 is sooo old! Amazing!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Amazing hunt, Don! That 1813 Wellington Half Penny Token is a great find. I've never seen one before. Over 200 years old, wow!

And that button spill is a real mystery. They cleaned up beautifully! It's very cool that they aren't all the same. Do you know how old they are?

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    You couldn’t leave me one of those buttons?
    No way, he knew you'd end up trading it with me for some medieval swag! LOL
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

AMAZING finds Don, not many of those 40% Kennedys show up! I've only ever found 1. The Wellington token is a great find and has a very interesting story behind it with regard to the War of 1812 and money shortages. Those buttons steal the show though my friend! What an AWESOME display they will make and it's great there are several different designs too. I am SUPER jealous of that find for sure! LOL. Take care my friend and we'll be out there swinging together sooner than you know!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

How did you guess?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    No way, he knew you'd end up trading it with me for some medieval swag! LOL

Wow! That is a lifetime's worth of sporting button finds all in one hole. In great shape as well !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

A real friend would have stood up after digging one and allow me to bottom feed and find the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Wow! That is a lifetime's worth of sporting button finds all in one hole. In great shape as well !

Those buttons are really nice! 1830-1850's? You will need to get a nice display case to show them off. Congrats on the spill and the other finds too.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

That's one nice spill of buttons!
    XP Deus

Wow , those are some amazing finds , awesome pictures as well ! Congrats !

Great finds! Could be the buttons from a hunting uniform. those for fox hunting? Could you find any Information about the Button factory written on the rear?