Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triple bucket list day!!

Triple bucket list day!!

If there is one thing I have learned in the last few years is to be patient and trust my research. It is paying off this year.

1. My first shield nickel and I almost threw it in my garbage part of the bag for I thought it was an knockout from an electrical box. For giggles, I took a soft bristled toothbrush and very slowly started at it. Then I caught the "5" in the light while holding the coin a certain way. Of course you think to yourself, did I really see that? These pictures are of it mostly cleaned up. If there is anything magical I can use to do more, I am all ears.

2. My first large cent (1845). While many of you get these all the time, finding one in WI isn't the easiest thing to do. Cut the plug and it was dead center when I lifted the plug. Glad my shovel didn't hit it. Name:  front buckle.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  40.7 KBName:  shieldfront1.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  42.5 KBName:  shieldfront.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  36.9 KBName:  no idea.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  25.2 KBName:  large2.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  26.9 KBName:  large.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  25.8 KBName:  hardtimestoken.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  31.2 KBName:  buckle.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  50.8 KB

3. 3.25" x 2.375" buckle with the name of GutHeil H Loecker engraved on the front side. Tried my best to find this guy, but not in anything I can find in history books/online etc.

4. I have always wanted to find a Civil War era hard times token and got one. Bucknut should have found this one since it is from his state.

5. If anyone knows what language the triangle object is, please let me know. I cannot figure this one out at all.

There is a lot of land to swing on here, but all these items came from around the old barn area that must have burned down and someone spread all the nails evenly with a rake and stated to themselves "good luck future metal detectorist".
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by badgers325; 06-28-2021 at 12:03 PM.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

The token is among my favorite and is still on my bucket list. Was there when Digger Don got his. Might just have to go buy mine as it doesn't seem I'll get one any other way! Maybe the moderator will fix your picture and also fix mine.

LOL Noah. I am awful at this stuff. Seems like whenever I send photos, something weird happens or it goes somewhere I don't think it will. The answer to my troubles is post more photos. Eventually I will get it. The token was the easiest find. I thought I had a zincoln and it was a surface find (on top of dirt after a rain)

Congrats on all the great finds you had! I have to say though, that token is amazing! The patina and condition is probably the best I have ever seen. Well done!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Great finds and slow is definitely the way to go . I also came up blank on GutHeil H Loecker except for a stupid modern day video which had nothing in common with your find .
    Here is something on your track medal , unfortunately it doesn't say what language that is .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-BNT...36f849e3f29e0f

Full Metal - I couldn't believe the condition it was in either. Thank you! I always love reading your finds in your signature.

Cheap Thrills - Thank you. Cannot believe you found it! Only thing I could find on the buckle is that it is a Norwegian name. Going to have to take a trip to Madison someday and go to the state historical society and see if they have anything I can use to find the family. Would love to give this to one of his great great grandkids.

Wow where to start!!?? A bunch of great and rare things! Glad you spotted the shield nik before you tossed it. That plate is awesome and so is the largie. But the civil war token is really really nice! They sometimes come out a bit crunchy but yours is so crisp! A great display piece.

That token is banner worthy!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    5. If anyone knows what language the triangle object is, please let me know. I cannot figure this one out at all.
    It reminds me of the Greek alphabet. Is it supposed to say Beta Gamma Beta? Except they have used Greek letters to spell it out?

Name:  greek.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  67.9 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Hello. great and exciting found objects. Even with something German! Gut Heil is the so-called ,,Turner Gruß,, (Sport Greeting? In engl?) of the German Gymnastics Federation. The federation was founded in the 1848 years to keep the German youth fit. Does Turnvater Jahn mean anything to you? In the years after the revolution of 1848 many Germans emigrated to the usa. I think you say forty-eight'ers. The object must come from such immigrants. Now some hypothesis: I know that for example in Antietam there is a monument for the Turnschützen. These gymnastics clubs have united in the Civil War then to military associations. On the side of the Union. The name is used for identification similar to the slips of paper that some soldiers carried. Can this be true from where it was found? Really great finds!

Look at these
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bucknut - Thank you. I am going to do some very careful cleaning of the token. I got a lot of dirt off, but have a bit to go. I think it was dropped almost brand new. There is quite the rim on the edge. Almost reminds me of a fatty Indian in thickness.

Tony - I tried figuring it out in Greek, Roman and other languages from that region. Cheap Thrills found one on Ebay!!

Menzl - I think you are on the right track with this. Now that I have an idea on Gut Heil, I am guessing the H Loecker is the person's name. 1848 fits with the house and potentially someone after the original owner. Wisconsin was part of the Union during the Civil War, so that makes sense too.

Will let you all know what I find out.

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    Tony - I tried figuring it out in Greek, Roman and other languages from that region. Cheap Thrills found one on Ebay!!
    Here's a different track/running medallion with the same words on it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SPO...-/372645397167
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks Tony! Definitely getting these figured out.

There is a Hermann Löcker who was touring the USA at the time. He was a mining engineer. I think that's too unlikely. Perhaps the German name Löcker was changed to Loecker in America. Because you don't need ö.

I use the happy dance about twice a year, and you get one
    Amazing finds, Darryl! Have you cleaned the coin and token? I suspect they are even prettier than the pics indicate. I'd love to see another pic, but no pressure
    Great ID George!
    Congrats on a bunch of great finds!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Menzl - I think you are 100% right on the name. There were a lot of German immigrants in the Milwaukee area that I live in. I thought it was a Norwegian name, but very little showed up on Google/history books. Going to do some more research with your suggestion on the name.

Drew - Both pieces came out of the ground darn near perfect. The Large Cent was in sandy/soft earth (which is very rare here). I blew at the coin in the field and about hyper-ventilated getting the sand off and did a very light rub to rid the rest. Left it as is for I kind of like the dirt around it versus wiped completely clean. I do get out East fairly often, so maybe sometime I will bring it with. I will buy you a coffee and you can show me all your finds (just make sure they are drool proof)

I haven't touched the token yet other than wipe my greasy forehead and wiped the coin. I may take a very light toothpick to it this winter or on a rainy day. Just too chicken to clean everything thoroughly. And thank you for the happy dance! I was dancing all afternoon that day! I will bring this one too.

I have finde something really interesting: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/wh...st-buckle.html

The Milwaukee Turners

Menzl - You are a Rockstar!!!!! That is it and the best part is that these are made in Milwaukee. My buckle doesn't have the fancy engraving, but it is definitely punched with the same equipment or same jig/die was used. Well done!!!!

Elite Member
    Not much else to add other than WOW. The Large cent and Civil War Token are in great shape. Congrats on some amazing finds. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Thank you WD.