Thread: ID Help, LC, Whizzer??

ID Help, LC, Whizzer??

Been hitting my two sites this week.

Two questions-
    I found two gag loop looking things with hooks on the ends. Anyone know if they are indeed gag loops?
    Also, when a coin has two holes I call them whizzer toys but what about dandy buttons? Were they also whizzers or shank-less buttons?

Love to find old registration plates...and large cents. Not pictured, bunch of wheats, one was 9 inches and in great condition.
    Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

More wonderful finds, Drew! Those are some nice sites you have in your pocket. I wish we could find large cents with such regularity here in Illinois. That 1838 is a nice one.

My instincts tell me that dandy button is a whizzer. I would think if those were button holes they would be closer together.

And those sure look like what Dan has called gag loops in the past. I'm pretty sure they aren't sword hangers!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great finds. Looks like the buckles are all quite old. I think if someone does all the work to decorate a button like that then there must be an eyelet soldered on. But maybe the eyelet came off. The button was then converted to a toy. Is there any solder residue on the back?

I agree with Tony. First thing I noticed were the holes were too far apart for a button. It started out as a button is my guess until the shank busted.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Been hitting my two sites this week.

Two questions-
    I found two gag loop looking things with hooks on the ends. Anyone know if they are indeed gag loops?
    Also, when a coin has two holes I call them whizzer toys but what about dandy buttons? Were they also whizzers or shank-less buttons?

Love to find old registration plates...and large cents. Not pictured, bunch of wheats, one was 9 inches and in great condition.
    Thanks!!
    Hi Drew. Those loops are Latta Swivels. Good finds, congrats.

Hey Drew , the "gag loop" looking things are a "temporary" type of gag loop these were not attached like traditional loops in the harness but the hooks slipped into one of the "belt holes" made for the regular harness buckles along the top of the animal's head . Buttons were often reused when their shanks broke off and even repurposed for something else , nice finds .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks, everyone! You'll all spot on!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great finds Drew! What's the other item next to the 47 tag?
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    Great finds Drew! What's the other item next to the 47 tag?
    Yeah Roger, I was hoping someone would chime in about that too. It's a harp on the other side....it's some kind of light duty buckle. Thanks, bud!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Del, those loops with the hook on them are called gag loops, thanks, I just dug one the other day, dug a few of them over the years, never knew what they were called