Thread: A bit of silver

A bit of silver

One of my old sites , a School in a neighboring city built in in 1936 is in the process of having a large growth of Ivy plants removed . Over the years I've have found a small bit of silver , wheats ,clad , foreign coins, marbles etc.
    Last Friday they started the tear out which consisted of the surface parts of the Ivy . The tops of the roots were still above ground and there were several
    layers below ground . I had to use a pruning shear to cut thru several layers of buried roots . The digging was miserable and the kneeling on the surface roots was miserable .The first evenings two hour hunt gave me two broken down Hot wheels , two Golf balls and a whole lot of junk . I used my Nox 600 with the stock coil .

The next days two hour hunt I used the 6" and got two memorial Pennies a pitted parking token and more cans and junk .

Yesterday I took a quick scouting drive there and lo and behold they had run a Bobcat thru there and removed the tops of the roots .

I went back later with both coils for a almost three hour hunt .It started out badly . My wireless MPOW headphones which had previously performed well decided they would keep shutting down . Luckily I had brought my stock headphones and they worked well .

I started hunting and was getting nothing but junk .Needless to say I was feeling disappointed .I had been expecting to find something glorious .

Things started looking up when the Memorials started showing up ( I ended up with 18+3/4 of those I then got a clean high tone reaching 30 . This was the Silver Marines Sharpshooting badge . Great , at least I got something cool to show from this trip . I thought . After that the first of my 4 wheats showed up things are getting interesting

Another glorious high tone 30 and to my surprise a brilliant flash of silver
    pops out of the ground , " ah , cool a Quarter " . I nearly soiled my shorts when I saw
    it was a magnificent 1928 SLQ . Finally an age appropriate find for this old school .I was overjoyed !
    Then came the 1943 S War Nickel more sweetness !
    Three clad Quarters made into the pouch also .

Next I came into a very unusual find , a few 25/26 high beeps in one small area . This required some serious digging and the use of my pruning shears to get thru the roots , apparently some young Pirate had buried
    his treasure , 8 Aluminum Presidential Shell tokens which have over the years become pitted and crusty . Although not valuable a fun find for me .I have yet to identify the Presidents . I also haven't had a chance to get the dates off my wheats .

It was a great night and I'm hoping as I am printing this that the gardener is driving that Bobcat at least one more time , " I shall return" .

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting !
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Cheap Thrills; 07-20-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Great finds. Seems that someone posts a sharp shooters badge once a year or so and glad you did. I like the SLQ the best...my favorite coin type. I have not found one in over a year.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    Great finds. Seems that someone posts a sharp shooters badge once a year or so and glad you did. I like the SLQ the best...my favorite coin type. I have not found one in over a year.

Thanks for the the kind words Bucknut . I was very happy to find the Badge , I don't find much military stuff and this was an exceptionally cool piece . The SLQ is my favorite also it's truly a fantastic piece of art . I hope your next one is soon and a stunner .
    Best of luck to you !

Great finds! I also love the SLQ and the Badge. Two things I haven't found yet. That darn SLQ is still on the bucket list. Thank you for sharing. Hope the knees are feeling better.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Elite Member
    Great recoveries. Congrats especially on the SLQ. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    Great finds! I also love the SLQ and the Badge. Two things I haven't found yet. That darn SLQ is still on the bucket list. Thank you for sharing. Hope the knees are feeling better.

Thanks Badger , The knees are better and I'm still excited about the SLQ and the Badge .Both those finds were truly unexpected . I wish you the best in luck finding both . The SLQ will most likely come first , they are totally awesome looking coins !

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Great recoveries. Congrats especially on the SLQ. WD
    Thanks WD , appreciate the comments .

UPDATE We ( my granddaughter and I ) went back for 3 hrs . She swung the M6 like a Pro and found her first Silver a 1942 D (also the first coin of the night and only silver ).She had a great time and can't wait to again ( music to my ears) .
    Unfortunately she has to go home today ,The 5 coins on the left are her finds .
    Of all my finds the only ones worth mentioning were 6 Wheats .
    I hope to get back there this evening and maybe pull out one more silver .
    Attached Images Attached Images    

aaawwww I can't wait to take my grandchildren detecting, they're not old enough yet. Your granddaughter lives far away?
    My granddaughter lives very close to you and 3000 miles from me
    I bet you were happier for her first silver than your SLQ. The date is crystal clear on that thing, congrats!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    aaawwww I can't wait to take my grandchildren detecting, they're not old enough yet. Your granddaughter lives far away?
    My granddaughter lives very close to you and 3000 miles from me
    I bet you were happier for her first silver than your SLQ. The date is crystal clear on that thing, congrats!!

Thanks Drew !
    Your Grandchildren will be old enough to detect before you know it and if they like it you will be overjoyed ! She only lives about 50 miles away but her parents have busy work schedules and she has a lot of after School and weekend school activities to do , That was indeed the greatest moment of both her and my detecting career .That was a " meant to be find" !! We are both looking forward to our future trips together .