Thread: Civil War Era Pennsylvania National Guard Button

Civil War Era Pennsylvania National Guard Button

I got out yesterday for a short hunt at a permission here in Robinson. It is a circa 1900 house on a corner lot. It didn't take long for me to realize it had been detected before. There were no coins at all in the front or side yards. The back yard was fairly large and extended to an alley. It was near the alley that I finally started getting some digable signals.

The highlight of this hunt was a button. I think it is a Civil War era Pennsylvania National Guard button. The front has a keystone at the top and N.G. at the bottom. The backmark says J.H. Wilson - Philadelphia. It still has some gilt on the front and a nice unbent shank.

Name:  A.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  90.1 KBName:  B.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  54.0 KBName:  C.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  71.4 KBName:  D.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  83.1 KB
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Congratulations Tony! Love the button. Glad you stuck with it at the permission. Got a few wheats and IHP as well! Your first finds with the Nox?
    Last edited by badgers325; 07-06-2021 at 11:08 AM.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    Your first finds with the Nox?
    I started out with the Nox and quickly decided that I will need to practice with it a lot more at home before I start using it in earnest. I couldn't get the wireless headphones to work and I hadn't brought the cord for them. I'm sure it was something I was doing wrong. I should have had all of this ironed out before I went on a hunt with it. :-)

It was very chattery too. I did find a few junk targets with it though before I decided to switch back to my E-Trac.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Super button, Tony! That's an old fair token too. I wonder if their family would be interested in it. I hope you get your footing on the nox. You probably don't recall but my first hunt with it was horrible, I wanted to throw it in the woods lol.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    That's an old fair token too. I wonder if their family would be interested in it.
    I posted a photo of it on a Facebook group about the local history of Robinson and several people commented that both people named on the token are still alive and still reside in the area. The woman is now Sue Carver. I would happily give it to one of them if they were interested.
    Lifetime totals:

Way to go on getting yourself a permission! That button is sweet!

Great looking button Tony. You know how I like digging them, would have made my day for sure.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Elite Member
    Nice finds Tony Thx for posting. I'm not much of a techno guy so I am a straight regular headphones guy. I hope you get it ironed out as I think you will really like the NOX. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

great button Tony !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Great looking button Tony. You know how I like digging them, would have made my day for sure.
    That would've looked good in that button box you've got goin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    I posted a photo of it on a Facebook group about the local history of Robinson and several people commented that both people named on the token are still alive and still reside in the area. The woman is now Sue Carver. I would happily give it to one of them if they were interested.
    That's cool that they're both still around and kickin'!
    Yeah, so who do you offer it to?
    I take it the romance didn't last huh?

What I really like is that they put the year on it! That'll really help put those into reference now when I find one. Watch, now I won't find another one for a decade.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime