Thread: 14K Gold Signet Ring!

14K Gold Signet Ring!

I normally don't detect much in the summer; however, I secured a permission at a standing colonial era home that is now abandoned. It had been occupied for approximately 270 years so there are layers of colonial era relics, 1800's and 1900's coins and relics, and an unending amount of pulltabs and modern coins .

I had pretty much stayed on one side of the house due to the "trash" level in the yard. I figured that I might as well clean out the modern stuff so I could hear the deeper targets which were likely older. I had already found a late 1600's William III copper and an 1837 Hard Times token in previous visits and I had been running my Deus at around 14Khz and using my elliptical coil due to high EMI.

I decided to switch things up a little bit on my last hunt and jacked up the Deus to 28khz hoping to find smaller targets or, maybe, gold. That's exactly what happened. I found a very small ladies 14K gold signet ring made by J.R. Wood and Sons in Brooklyn, NY!Name:  215055636_10219713900701632_8633150475041924819_n.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  48.4 KBName:  215901228_10219713901021640_789119986516639096_n.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  57.6 KB

I haven't been able to pin down a date for the ring yet but it looks to be Victorian or Art Deco? J.R. Wood and Sons was founded in 1850 and became Art Carved which still exists today. I have located old catalogs on the internet showing the "Signet Ring Department" with rows of desks and workers carving initials into rings. It really takes you back in time when you research your finds.Name:  JRWworkers.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  67.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Donnie B; 07-19-2021 at 05:36 AM.
    XP Deus

Wow, nice ring Donnie! I agree it's probably Victorian or Edwardian. It doesn't look Art Deco to me though. I can't decide what the initials are. Maybe JJS or FJS?
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    Wow, nice ring Donnie! I agree it's probably Victorian or Edwardian. It doesn't look Art Deco to me though. I can't decide what the initials are. Maybe JJS or FJS?
    I think the initials are "JSP" and that's if you consider the large letter in the middle to be the letter for the last name. I tried looking up some history on the house to see if I could figure out whose ring it was. That's a very frustrating thing to do because all of the census records seem to be tied up on genealogy sites where you need to pay for access.
    XP Deus

Awesome ring Donnie! My jaw drops when people find those old coins here in the USA. Only colonial homes in WI are the dreams in my head that they were here.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Great old ring sir !
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Great old ring sir !
    Thanks! I'm starting to think you are correct. The initials are JIS. I have been looking online for census data but I haven't found any that is free. I would like to try to figure out whose ring it was. I bet she was heartbroken to lose it.
    XP Deus

Good work sniffing that ring out Donnie. HT token is always a nice find too.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Georgeous!!!
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Wow, Donnie! Super ring...and that token is in ridiculous shape for around here.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Wow !! Killer finds and awesome pictures . Yours and Bucknut's signet ring on the banner have to be the most beautiful and original Signet rings I have ever seen . Super congrats !!
    Last edited by Cheap Thrills; 07-21-2021 at 04:10 PM.

beautiful ring, Donnie, thanks for sharing!

Jeff
    I live my life one target at a time
    since '68