Thread: Big silvers and barbers!

Big silvers and barbers!

I rarely find big silver but I had a great experience a couple weeks ago. I have an older neighbor who lives in a home that is on an 1876 map. My boys did a little detecting of his yard a couple years ago but left after 30 minutes because they felt uncomfortable (they were only 11 and 13 at the time). I have never met him but I saw him mowing his yard and decided to go said hello. After chatting for a couple minutes he told me that he would pay my boys to weed whip his front ditch...I told him that I would be glad to do it … but can I detect your yard? He said sure.

Name:  1918s dirt.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  113.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_E3121.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  95.2 KB

The Florin is from Australia and dated 1942. I think it is 90% silver. Rang up a solid 34 on the Equinox. The other is a worn 1918 S Walker. I also found a few wheats and an indian from 1903. I plan to go back and do more when I weed whip the front ditch again. It took me about 10 minutes so I think I got paid fairly well.

The barber quarters came back to back (about 20 feet apart) at an old fairgrounds that I have gone over many times. The first was an obvious signal but the other one was barely a squeak.

Name:  IMG_E3143.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  149.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_E3145.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  131.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_E3162.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  47.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_E3161.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  59.5 KB

I think Tony recently found one of these good luck tokens and was able to return it to the original owner. I don't think I will be able to do the same. There is an aluminum thimble that states Dailey or Sheriff...haven't looked it up but I bet it is from 1920s-40s.
    Name:  IMG_E3171.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  98.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_E3172.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  93.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_E3173.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  105.2 KB

I also found a sterling thimble at a parking lot tear out at an old school along with that black merc. The other merc is a 1916 minted in Phildelphia. Most of the other finds were from a few hunts at old parks.

Thanks for looking! Jared
    Last edited by Bucknut; 07-28-2021 at 04:07 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

WOW !!!!! Fantastic , That's the kind of site everyone dreams of . You really made out at that location and the Fairgrounds ! Great presentation of the play by play , photos and finds . I'm still struggling miserably with the proper lighting on some of my indoor photos .
    It seems you have become one with your phone cam as well as your detector . Your "reveal" shots in the dirt are inspiring me to try to do the same .
    Wise of your boys to leave when they did ! The guy may have been ok but you just never know . Thanks for taking the time to post . It seems to have slowed down with the posts here on the forum and this came at a great time .

Congratulations on this amount of silver. Beautiful coins! How did the Australian get to USA?

Elite Member
    Wow, that's an impressive group of finds. Don't see Barber Quarters look that nice as well. Great finds. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

DAMN boy! I would weed whack all day if I could find coins like that! Congrats! I love that Australian coin too. When you dug it up did you get a crazy desire to put some shrimp on the barbie? LOL. What is the BP (RP?) button?
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    DAMN boy! I would weed whack all day if I could find coins like that! Congrats! I love that Australian coin too. When you dug it up did you get a crazy desire to put some shrimp on the barbie? LOL. What is the BP (RP?) button?
    At first I thought the Florin was possibly a 4 real since there was a shield on it but once the dirt fell off I could see the date and I knew it was not Spanish silver .

No idea about that button. It’s made out of lead but the patina does not seem that old.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Always amazed at what people still find at old parks.

Wow, Jared! I was also interested in the BP button...looks old in the pic but I guess it is just in an old style. Excellent finds, all around!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew