Thread: A real old Nickel tonight

Threaded View

A real old Nickel tonight

After last nights hunt at the old school which produced 2 coins in 1+3/4 hrs. I decided I'd put in 2hrs. tonight with the Explorer with the 6x8 coil. The first 1+1/2 hrs . I dug only junk and solid signals were far and few between . I almost packed up and left but I decided I wanted to find at least one coin .
    A memorial copper penny showed up shortly thereafter. Next came a pipsqueak of a high tone the Smartfind showed all the way top right . Of course it had to be six inches under a whole bunch of crisscrossing Ivy roots.
    I had to get on the old knees which I don't particularly like to do but In got a nice 36S Merc dime out of the deal ( it was caked with dirt and I didn't know which type it was until I got home and rinsed it off ) . As I was making my way back to the car I got a nice Nickel signal .I couldn't tell what it was either because it was pretty dirty and worn but I figured it was just another one of those foreign coins I had been finding there . I was both shocked and happy to see it was a V nickel I had to use my Microscopic camera and hold a small flashlight just right for lighting to make out a date ,it's an 1886 !
    Needless to say " I shall return" .
    Attached Images Attached Images