Thread: The hunt begins

The hunt begins

Hello all. Yesterday I spent half an hour in the field before the thunderstorm came. In the neighborhood are some old mills and there are ancient paths. These are the coins that I could find. Two (red) pennies from Saxony can be seen above. One 1695 the other 1783. Next to it an unfortunately rolled medieval silver coin. The rolled coins were worn on chains as jewelry. Especially as wedding jewelry. So it is more a relic than a coin. The rest of the coins are unfortunately all chipped. Especially too bad for the coin on the bottom left with the bishop on it. The coin on the lower right is found very often (Dave should know it). It is 50 pennies from the 1920s. On it the saying something like: Diligence brings blessings.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nearby was this ancient river ford. Probably a much visited place for a long time?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That's amazing, Menzi! Only a half hour! You have to go back! Love the old rocks in the river too.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Some great finds! Those medieval silvers are so thin and fragile I don't know how people could even use them in day-to-day transactions without them constantly breaking! I love the rolled silver coin that is made into a bead. I've not seen that before. The 1920's aluminum 50 pfennig is indeed a common coin. At the end of WW1 Germany was forced to pay restitution to the other countries and was pretty much flat broke. They had no bullion to support their currency so instead they used the "promise" of the bountiful harvest the land could yield. That's why the coins have wheat depicted on them. Looks like you have a good spot that merits return trips. Thanks for posting and happy digging, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Thank you very much. My respect Dave! You seem to have a lot of knowledge about German history.
    Yes I will definitely go there again but right now I have a lot to do. In the fall / autums for sure. Then it is better anyway because the many brushwood is gone.

Nice finds and great photos Menzl .It looks like a pleasant place to just sit down and meditate after a nice hunt .Welcome to the forum !

Nice info on the aluminum coins Dave !

Elite Member
    You guys have such great history. The paved walkway in the river is a great photo. Always say it but I can't imagine finding such old coins. Thx for posting. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

That's an amazing 1 1/2 hr. hunt!
    I real like the rolled silver coin! That's cool!!
    About, what era, or period in history, was rolling coins for jewlery common? I've never seen that either.
    I LIKE IT!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Thank you! These rolled coins exist from the High Middle Ages (1400) to the Thirty Years War (ended in 1648). Prerequisite for this type of jewelry was that the coins corresponded to their material value. With the imbalance between the actual material value and the value written on the coin, the custom disappeared.

Awesome finds Menzl. I always imagine detecting in Europe. So many years of people and movements of people.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.