Thread: Indian trade rings and tinkling cones and more 1812 era buttons

Indian trade rings and tinkling cones and more 1812 era buttons

I spent last week up at my cottage somewhere in northern Michigan and detected quite a bit. I did not go to any of the military sites that I have done so well at in the past but instead explored some new areas and had some success. I ended up with 3 trade rings and 3 tinkling cones and 6 more buttons.

The first trade ring I put on my finger to "keep it safe" as I went back to my cottage...well that was not a good idea as it snapped in 2 places!

Name:  Trade rings.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  120.8 KB
    Name:  Cone.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  105.9 KB
    Name:  3 cones.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  136.8 KB
    Name:  Ring.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  45.8 KB

5 of the buttons came at one site. I found 4 Eagle on Cannon Corps cuff buttons and then a new one for me. It is a Eagle on "US" Infantry cuff button. It is pewter with an iron shank and dates I think from 1812-1815. It is #45AV on page 24 in the Alberts book.

Name:  Eagle on US.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  99.2 KB

I also found a general service button. I looked it up in the Alberts book as well and I think it is #94 on page 40. Sometimes the Alberts book gives dates but for these buttons it does not give any date or date range...so mine is likely prior to the civil war but perhaps not.
    Name:  General Service.jpg
Size:  89.9 KB
    Name:  general service back.jpg
Size:  135.2 KB

Name:  all buttons.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  all relics.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  132.6 KB

Thanks for looking! Jared
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    92pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Wow , quite a post ! I never new trade rings or tinkling cones even existed .
    I looked up the cones and now I know what they are .I printed this description for anyone else who doesn't know .

One of the produced goods that were produced and traded at the fort were tinkling cones, “decorative objects formed into a cone shape with an open apex by rolling a flat trapezoidal or square metal blank” [5]. These tinkling cones were often produced from old kettles, a way of recycling the materials in order to get a new life in the trade.

A very cool assortment of military badges there . Great photo shots ,were they all taken outdoors ?

Oh wow! I am SO envious of that site! Congrats on another great haul of goodies.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Great finds , that area had a huge military presence that lasted for quite a while .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congratulations on these extraordinary great finds. I registered here to see something like this! In one round you found more military buttons from 1812 than I found in my whole life. Can you tell if it was a camp site? Is the place of finding a field or a forest?

Quote Originally Posted by Menzl View Post
    Congratulations on these extraordinary great finds. I registered here to see something like this! In one round you found more military buttons from 1812 than I found in my whole life. Can you tell if it was a camp site? Is the place of finding a field or a forest?
    Thanks Menzl! There is a well known military fort nearby. This fort dates back to the mid 1700's I think and was occupied by the French originally, then England and then the US. There was also a lot of Native American Indian activity in the area that dates back much earlier. The spots that I have been successful at are areas where the occupants of the fort would go to get supplies like timber, brick and food. I have had success at a Fur Traders Post, a couple saw pits (places where timber was harvested and cut into planks) and other various spots that are near my cottage in Northern Michigan. Some of these places are noted on old maps while other spots I (or others who shared them with me) found by exploring. This fort is Fort Mackinac. I wish I could detect the island that this fort is on...there are probably truck loads of relics there! ...but it is a National Park so you can't dig anything.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Awesome! I think those 1812 era flat buttons are the best looking US military buttons. Those trade goods are too cool.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Very interesting. Thank you for the narration. I can imagine it very well. Somehow images of the famous movie: "The Last of the Mohicans" appear in my head. But in your area also were Hurons or? Congratulations again on the finds.

Elite Member
    Some impressive relics, thx for posting. I have found a few Indian relics but nothing like that. Great recoveries. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Fantastic finds!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Screw it Bucknut, I will meet you at Mackinaw at 9PM next weekend to hunt the island. Just Kidding!!!! I hear you about detecting that area. That would be an incredible hunt to do. I bet that whole island is full of relics, coins etc.

By the way, great finds again.
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Dang it. I was in Michigan last week. Congrats on those amazing finds.
    XP Deus

the next time you get up there Bucknut you'll have to find me a yooperlite
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    the next time you get up there Bucknut you'll have to find me a yooperlite
    I have never looked for them but I know of people who do find them. Just need a black light. I do find pudding stones and Petoskey stones regularly.
    1,000+ silver coins
    My wife

Another solid round of detecting Jared! Those tinkling cones and trade rings have a good probability of being somewhat older than the buttons. At least, that's what folks around here say in New England. Not sure about N. Mich.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos