Thread: Totally 14K or plated ?

Totally 14K or plated ?

I found this in a wood chips tot lot Saturday night and can't find out anything positive on the sites I have tried .
    It's a man's ring , 9.4 grams and I see no obvious signs of corrosion . GB means it could possibly be gold covered silver or some other metal but the meaning of the "I" before the GB is not mentioned anywhere .
    Any jewelry experts out there ? I have no idea if the stone is a genuine diamond either as I don't have a tester .
    Attached Images Attached Images   

These pictures taken with a digital microscope . I will take another to try to show a truer color of the ring .

more photos

Maybe someday I'll get this photo taking stuff right .

What number did it give you? Silver would give you a high number. If it is gold plated silver then you should see some wear marks. Hope it’s totally 14k for you!
    Last edited by Bucknut; 08-23-2021 at 03:15 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 800 x2
    2021 Season Totals:
    Clad: $55.55
    Indians: 25
    Wheaties: 146
    Silver: 57
    Silver jewelry: 8
    Gold jewelry: 3
    Favorite 2021 find: Indian Trade ring spill

Quote Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
    What number did it give you? Silver would give you a high number. If it is gold plated silver then you should see some wear marks. Hope it’s totally 10k for you!
    Thanks Bucknut , It rang at a solid , unwavering 17 on the Nox . I see no wear marks whatsoever . Usually when I find phony jewelry that deep in the tanbark it's been there for some time and the plating would be already cruddy . It was about 5 inches down where the chips are a powder or tiny pieces mixed with dirt . It was dry at the bottom of the dig as we have had very little rain . It was a fun find regardless of what it turns out to be as it has been the first ring in a few years now .

Well I would be optimistic that it’s the real deal then. 17 can be gold…especially if it it is large and that ring seems big to me.

I just googled "what does 14k IBG mean". The IBG stands for I.B. Goodman Company out of Kentucky. 14K obviously is 14 karat gold.

That is a genuine gold ring! Excellent!!! Chances are good that the stone is a real diamond.
    Last edited by Bucknut; 08-23-2021 at 12:46 PM.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 800 x2
    2021 Season Totals:
    Clad: $55.55
    Indians: 25
    Wheaties: 146
    Silver: 57
    Silver jewelry: 8
    Gold jewelry: 3
    Favorite 2021 find: Indian Trade ring spill

Well I would be optimistic that it’s the real deal then. 17 can be gold…especially if it it is large and that ring seems big to me.

I just googled "what does 14k IBG mean". The IBG stands for I.B. Goodman Company out of Kentucky. 14K obviously is 14 karat gold.

That is a genuine gold ring! Excellent!!! Chances are good that the stone is a real diamond.

Thank you so much Bucknut ! You are a world class Googler ! I tried several times at googling with no success .
    Mr. Google must not have liked my tone of voice .

Wow , a good old *US of A " out of Kentucky ring no less , I am overjoyed ! I thought I saw a bit of "sparkly" in the stone but I thought I may have been wishfully hallucinating ( by the way it fits me perfectly on my ring finger ) . I'm thinking of looking into getting a diamond tester soon . Thanks again !

Congrats on a GREAT finds! Those rings aren't cheap either!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic Coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 Pfennig from Bavaria, Germany
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coin EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Chateau Renaud, France
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

beauty of a ring !!
    XP Deus Ws5 , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Digger View Post
    Congrats on a GREAT finds! Those rings aren't cheap either!
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    beauty of a ring !!

Thanks Dave and Dan !

I broke down and bought myself a diamond tester , it turned out to be the real deal !