Thread: Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

I use a Tesoro Golden for MDing. For the last few years i have just used a Merlin SXL for pinpointing. The other night I broke the probe off of it. What is the best pinpointer for the money that would work well with the Tesoro?

Thanks, Ron
    Tesoro Golden U Max

Cleaning up the world....27 cents at a time.

Re: Any suggestions?

hey Ron , i'm not positive but i don't think they make an inline probe for tesoro so with that in mind i've heard pretty good things about the garret pinpointer and i know first hand that the vibra probe 580 is a good one as well . i'd stay away from the whites bullseye models as i've had nothing but trouble with the pushbuttons on them .anyone else have any comments here for Ron.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

GPP cant beat it and great warranty . Yazoo

I have to agree. The Garrett Pro Pinpointer is hard to beat. I used to use an in line Sunray probe, but it sits on the shelf most of the time now.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Thanks for the advise guys, I'll see what I can get a Garrett for.

Ron
    Tesoro Golden U Max

Really I have had good luck with the BE-II. It hasn't failed me and I have had it for around six years. Must have got one they built on a good day. I gave it to the wife as I just got the Garrett and it is an awesome PP. didn't want an inline as it would have just added extra weight to my machine. For the money you just can't beat it. If funds are low and you really need a PP till you can get, lets say the Garrett, the Centech from Harbor Freight isn't a bad unit at all. I have one I modified with a buzzer and it works just fine. thumbsup01
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.

I use and prefer the Garrett Pro-pointer . thumbsup01

Elite Member

I have been using a Garrett propointer for a few weeks now, I wonder how I ever did without it before! It saves me so much time and digging, which means more time to hunt, thus more finds! I just don't like the 9volt battery, would prefer if they could use one or 2 AAs, but I think Garrett owns stock in 9volts. My old master hunter took 6 9volts...pain in the %^.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

As soon as I can get the wife to let loose of $128 I'm going to get a Garrett on order. I like the 9 volt batteries because that's what my Tesoro uses and I can just carry a couple of spares. I appreciate all of the help guys. It made my decision easy.

Thanks, Ron
    Tesoro Golden U Max

Well I broke loose and bought a Garrett. It's great. I have only used it a couple of times but it's ten times better than the Merlin I was using.

Thanks guys for the help.

Ron
    Tesoro Golden U Max

yes a good pinpointer makes a world of difference huh congrats on the purchase and good luck with it .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by studeman View Post
    Well I broke loose and bought a Garrett. It's great. I have only used it a couple of times but it's ten times better than the Merlin I was using.

Thanks guys for the help.

Ron
    You are also going to appreciate that light it has now that darkness is rapidly creeping up on our hunting time .

As you have discovered the Garrett is a very nice PP.

Another nice feature is that you can detune it to get a more accurate location of your target... sometimes this comes in very handy.

Once you get a general idea of where the target is, turn off the PP and hold it close to where the signal is coming from and turn it back on. I believe this reduces the sensitivity of the unit and it only sounds off when you are right next to the target. Very helpful when pinpointing a target just under the surface or an item in the wall of your hole.

Hey jkress,
    Thanks for the tip. I hunted an area with more than a few nails this weekend. I used the detuning more than once when I would have a coin in a hole along with a nail. It's a great pinpointer and well worth the investment.

thanks, Ron
    Tesoro Golden U Max