I drove to a small town with my dad on Saturday, and after we had a nice lunch together we drove around looking for a place to detect. We tried the city park but decided that it must not be a very old park. A conversation with a local resident confirmed this later.

I finally decided to try a grassy strip between the town's main street and the railroad tracks. As you may recall I've had success at such sites before, but the coins often come out of the ground tarnished due to the sulfurous smoke and ash produced by the steam engines back in the day. (I assume that's what causes it.)

Within five minutes of detecting in this grassy area I got a nice, deep high tone that ended up being a 1902 Barber Quarter. A find like that will get you excited about a site. After about an hour I had found an 1887 Indian Head Cent, a 1917 Mercury Dime and 2 Wheat Cents. Unfortunately we had to leave because I had to go to my grandson's football game. I only got to cover a small fraction of the area.

A return trip to this site is definitely on the agenda. My detecting time has been very limited this year and I hope to make up for that this fall.

Name:  KEEPERS.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  104.6 KB