Thread: ,,Exotik,, Button Find

,,Exotik,, Button Find

During the conservation of some finds there was a surprise. A US button! Can you help me with the dating? Must be something between 1917 and today? Pretty rare find in my area. Sorry for the turn. Many greetings
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Menzl; 10-29-2021 at 06:17 AM.

I think del has stated that the Great Seal was first used on buttons in 1909. If the writing in the back was legible it may help to narrow down the date. Cool find!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Nice find Menzl! Not too common over here either.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Nice find, maybe some of that gunk will come off and reveal some info.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

The "great seal" button started in 1902 , although this one looks a bit later somewhere from WWI to WWII era . As Tony mentioned the back mark (maker's name) can determine a better or more accurate timeline.

congrats on finding a piece of history , Menzl !

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

As others have already said your button is a US Army Great Seal. They first came out in 1902 but did not have a rim until 1910. From 1910 to 1927 the rim was rounded. In 1927 the button"s rim was changed to a more angular one. Yours appears to be the rounded edge version so it would date from 1910 -1927. If there is a black finish under the crud your button would date from 1910-1923. Here are samples of the three different versions. First is the 19012-1910 one, second the 1910-1927 one and third is the 1927 and newer one.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by fyrffytr1; 10-30-2021 at 08:16 PM.
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Thank you for the interesting information! Unfortunately, the button is deformed and heavily encrusted. However, from the area I would rather assume a dating of WW2.

After looking at your button again with my good glasses on I can see beveling on the rim so it is post 1927. What part of the world was this button found in?
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Congrats on your military button , always a fun find no matter what shape they are in .

You guys are good with the button IDs
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Well seen. Unfortunately, everything is quite corroded. The button comes from the dark and foggy German forests. Respect for your great expertise.

Congrats on the find Menzl. Thanks for the info fyrf!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.