Thread: Hello from Northern NYS

Hello from Northern NYS

New guy here, located at the Foothills of the Adirondacks, started metal detecting back in the early 80's, how it begin, I was hunting with my 1st deer rifle, an ole 3030 that was a family pass down from great grandpa, I lost the sight off of it, borrowed a friends detector, and found the sight, and that's how I got hooked on metal detecting. Mostly I hunt ole homestead cellar hole's, been called a few times to find lost items, it's awesome to find someones lost wedding ring and see the joy in their face when you hand it to them. I also enjoy taking my grandsons detecting. I'm a retired Maint Tech and now I'm a Houseman, I also enjoy, #1 hang with my grandkids and son's, hunting, fishing, R/C model airplanes, woodturning, racing, hot rods, ham radio, groomer operator for a local snowmobile club, riding snowmobiles with my family, maple syrup producer and staying on the good side of the better half Nope I'm never bored!! Looking forward to hanging out here
    Last edited by Iceman-ny; 12-04-2021 at 11:03 AM.
    Machines: Whites MXT / Tesoro Eldorado / Garrett Ace 350 / Equinox 800

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman-ny View Post
    New guy here, located at the Foothills of the Adirondacks, started metal detecting back in the early 80's, how it begin, I was hunting with my 1st deer rifle, an ole 3030 that was a family pass down from great grandpa, I lost the sight off of it, borrowed a friends detector, and found the sight, and that's how I got hooked on metal detecting. Mostly I hunt ole homestead cellar hole's, been called a few times to find lost items, it's awesome to find someones lost wedding ring and see the joy in their face when you hand it to them. I also enjoy taking my grandsons detecting. I'm a retired Maint Tech and now I'm a Houseman, I also enjoy, #1 hang with my grandkids and son's, hunting, fishing, R/C model airplanes, woodturning, racing, hot rods, ham radio, groomer operator for a local snowmobile club, riding snowmobiles with my family, maple syrup producer and staying on the good side of the better half Nope I'm never bored!! Looking forward to hanging out here
    Welcome iceman! Good to see you here. Thanks for coming aboard!

Welcome, Iceman! . Sounds like you have lots going on! What detector do you use? I've yet to make a ring return. I look forward to your posts and great to have you here!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Welcome, Iceman! . Sounds like you have lots going on! What detector do you use? I've yet to make a ring return. I look forward to your posts and great to have you here!
    Thank You OxshoeDrew, yep I keep busy, I bought a Equinox 800 back in April, used that this past summer, still on a leaning curve with it, but so far love the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman-ny View Post
    Thank You OxshoeDrew, yep I keep busy, I bought a Equinox 800 back in April, used that this past summer, still on a leaning curve with it, but so far love the machine.
    I been using the nox600 since they came out...i also used the Ace 350 years ago.
    Is your pic a livery or sportsmen button?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Hello Iceman , that is quite the resume and great intro ! you must find some great looking coppers as many near the foothills do , I think its the famous "lime belt" that runs through parts of NY and is kind to items lost there. Looking toward seeing what you find sir ! welcome to AD .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Camp Breathedsville View Post
    Welcome iceman! Good to see you here. Thanks for coming aboard!
    Thanks Camp

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    I been using the nox600 since they came out...i also used the Ace 350 years ago.
    Is your pic a livery or sportsmen button?
    I believe it is a sportsmen button OxShoe, never did find much info on it, I'm guessing 1800s, it's cool a button.
    Last edited by Iceman-ny; 12-05-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Hello Iceman , that is quite the resume and great intro ! you must find some great looking coppers as many near the foothills do , I think its the famous "lime belt" that runs through parts of NY and is kind to items lost there. Looking toward seeing what you find sir ! welcome to AD .

Dan
    Hello Del, thank you, I haven't found an coppers yet, and the Lime Belt that's new to me, I'll need to research that.

Welcome to the forum Iceman ' I'm looking forward to your posts. I'm super impressed that you were able to find that 30/30 sight !

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Thrills View Post
    Welcome to the forum Iceman ' I'm looking forward to your posts. I'm super impressed that you were able to find that 30/30 sight !
    Thank you, when I realized that I had lost the ramp from the sight, I remembered where the brush was where that I caught the rifle on, a friend of mine had an ole detector, think it was White's, big ole boxy shaped thing, I couldn't believe I found it, I say's, man I got to have me a detector.

Welcome Iceman!
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Waterproof Pinpointer, CTX3030 with 6,11,17" coils.

Quote Originally Posted by badgers325 View Post
    Welcome Iceman!
    Thank You Badgers

Elite Member
    Welcome, you certainly have a historic State to hunt in. Seen some amazing stuff found in your State on UTube. Look forward to your postings. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin digger View Post
    Welcome, you certainly have a historic State to hunt in. Seen some amazing stuff found in your State on UTube. Look forward to your postings. WD
    Thank you for the welcome Wisconsin Digger.