Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gridding- need advice!

Re: Gridding- need advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Nope, in the grass. If it was just cut, it can be hard to see, but mostly you can see a line where you walked.

BTW, you should be going slow enough that you are basically shuffling your feet as you move. This may also help leave your foot trail.
    Yep, that was going to be my suggestion. That's exactly what I do, in thick grass conditions. Shuffling your feet, you can see the trail on the way back!
    “Today’s the Day!” the Motto of Mel other unit, world's most famous Treasure Hunter

Planting little red s would probably get me shot as there is a turf war going around here by two rival gangs . Blue is a no-no too. :-\ These clowns even mark their turf by tagging trees at the local city park .

Veteran Member

no need to use ancilliary items , cones , flgs etc.. see you have to take that stuff with you when you get there and when you leave ,,,.. like jason said . just drop a mental square on the area you want to search .. most times you can pick a landmark in the distance and focus your path therein. focusing on a distant point will take your minds focus off staring at the screen .. then you can finetune your audio discrimination, the between the ears disc........ that , and i hit a place from at least 2 different directions. and like jack said sometimes 3. hope this helps thumbsup01
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Candidate Member

Hi Guys,
    This is my very first posting on this forum. I live in Perth Western Australia and use a Whites V3. I have been detecting for 33 years and have owned heeps of brands in that time. The way i go about gridding a profitable area is i have a square of 12 and 3/4 pvc pipe which is 3 feet square so it fits into the boot but opens up to 6 feet square so i can start at a given point and lye it down on the grass and grid north, south, east and west and then flip it over. By this way you dont miss anything.

Regards Pinpointa Down Under in Oz.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Its Good To Get Free With The WHITES V3.

hello Pinpointa , very interesting and looks like a very thorough way of doing it .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Gridding in the water is really hard, in swimming areas I'll drag my scoop and it works pretty good if the water is clear enough.

Quote Originally Posted by pinpointa View Post
    Hi Guys,
    This is my very first posting on this forum. I live in Perth Western Australia and use a Whites V3. I have been detecting for 33 years and have owned heeps of brands in that time. The way i go about gridding a profitable area is i have a square of 12 and 3/4 pvc pipe which is 3 feet square so it fits into the boot but opens up to 6 feet square so i can start at a given point and lye it down on the grass and grid north, south, east and west and then flip it over. By this way you dont miss anything.

Regards Pinpointa Down Under in Oz.
    Very cool!! Now that is thorough...
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

I don't grid very often using markers. When I do, I use colored golf tees. I just keep a handfull of them in my warbag.
    I live my life one target at a time
    since '68

Veteran Member

I use 4 plastic white golf balls, i step out 10 paces in a square area and drop the golf balls in each cornor , then i pick up 2 of them and walk off another 10 paces and so on .
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

I wander around until I see some of my old holes lol Most of the time I just try and focus on my direction. Doing a wooded area with lots of trees and saplings, It's hard to have any rigid method of detecting. But that set up is a good one pinpointa. It may be a nice way to do the open areas where we hunt cellar holes (old home sites).
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    I wander around until I see some of my old holes lol
    rofl lol rofl

Wow- you guys shared lots of different ways to grid!

tennis balls
    golf balls
    colored golf tees
    orange s
    pvc pipe
    string/stakes
    popsicle sticks
    orange cones
    pay attention to landmarks
    grass/foot shuffle trail
    follow mower tracks in grass
    snow tracks
    wander aimlessly lol
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP